Getting electronics in at EZE

AlexanderB said:
Are you saying that because of the 50% duties, the periodic port disputes, or some other artifact of policy?

There is a restrictions on importation of goods now. But that might only apply to businesses.

gsi16386 said:
Yes sir, I manage a hedge fund specializing in the Energy Markets.

Respect! I have always wanted to be a day trader (not the futures though) but never knew anyone personally who made it in the business. And never had a teacher either.

nicoenarg said:
There is a restrictions on importation of goods now. But that might only apply to businesses.

Can you be a little more specific?

AlexanderB said:
Can you be a little more specific?

I might be off on details but this is what I can tell you off the top of my head, don't bet your inheritence on my words.

Recently Cristina decided she didn't want foreign products like electronics (I'm having a freakin' hard time finding ink for my printer), books, etc to be imported into Argentina unless the companies exporting their products had some sort of business partnership with an Argentine or decided to put a factory in Argentina to assemble those products (instead of importing them into the country), she is trying to give an (unfair) advantage to local companies by stopping imports.

I think she was hoping that the foreign companies would just bend over and give Argentines jobs which of course didn't happen. Now in a year or two she'll have to explain to her worshippers why, on top of hyperinflation, unemployment numbers are creeping upwards.

Brilliant. Was her presumption that there exists a perfectly, or even remotely substitutable domestic industry to produce those things? Does the government understand what Argentina's economic base is actually capable of producing? Competitive advantage? Especially in an irrevocably globalised world?

Just brilliant. Practical effect is to embargo goods and not a whole lot else.

AlexanderB said:
Brilliant. Was her presumption that there exists a perfectly, or even remotely substitutable domestic industry to produce those things? Does the government understand what Argentina's economic base is actually capable of producing? Competitive advantage? Especially in an irrevocably globalised world?

Just brilliant. Practical effect is to embargo goods and not a whole lot else.

I have only been here a month and a half and I already want to vote her out (and I am not even a citizen!!)

I don't think these politicians here know or ever knew what it was that they were doing. They created a personality or rather, family cult (based on another family cult of the fascist Perons) and everyone ran and kissed their ass...the rest is of course history.

nicoenarg said:
I have only been here a month and a half and I already want to vote her out (and I am not even a citizen!!)

I don't think these politicians here know or ever knew what it was that they were doing. They created a personality or rather, family cult (based on another family cult of the fascist Perons) and everyone ran and kissed their ass...the rest is of course history.

Unfortunately, a failure to grasp basic economics, in the quest for a populist "job creation" objective, is a ubiquitous pathology across Latin America and elsewhere. Nothing you can do but wait for the inevitable protests against ink cartridge shortages and whatnot.

AlexanderB said:
Unfortunately, a failure to grasp basic economics, in the quest for a populist "job creation" objective, is a ubiquitous pathology across Latin America and elsewhere. Nothing you can do but wait for the inevitable protests against ink cartridge shortages and whatnot.

Well, my wife and I are only here for 6 months to see if we should live in Argentina for the next 2-3 years or not. If it doesn't work out, we're out of here. That tends to make things easier. But it also adds to the frustration because we really want things to work out in Argentina.

That's my plan as well. Come for 3-6 months and see to what extent I am fooling myself about being able to stand it. Like you, I really want it to work out and try to not let my heart sink from the more jaded rants around here.

AlexanderB said:
That's my plan as well. Come for 3-6 months and see to what extent I am fooling myself about being able to stand it. Like you, I really want it to work out and try to not let my heart sink from the more jaded rants around here.

Well, don't let these "rants" influence your decision too much. Mostly people post here because something has just happened and they are pissed off. Then they cool off and go have asado and drink wine.

There are things that you will like and things you'll hate about Buenos Aires. My wife, who is Argentine, and I are waiting for the things that we can love inspite of the bad that we see here for us to be able to make the decision to stay.

Back