Getting electronics in at EZE

10 monitors? Nice! :)

I'm sure the quality is just fine; the same cheap Chinese, Taiwanese and Korean stuff goes to BsAs as to North America, from the same places, with the same (spotty) QA process, from the same supply chains. It's just that Argentina slaps batshit insane duties on it, like most Latin American countries.

Oh and yes, buy everything from the US. Even if it seems like the price difference is not that much and you have to pay taxes anyway and blah blah blah...buy everything you want from the US and bring it in.

At least your computer won't say "TopHouse" on it.

I am concerned about the availability of spare parts if something of mine does break. It's critical to my work. But as far as I could tell, as long as you're willing to pay more - possibly a lot more - you can get what you need.

AlexanderB said:
10 monitors? Nice! :)

I'm sure the quality is just fine; the same cheap Chinese, Taiwanese and Korean stuff goes to BsAs as to North America, from the same places, with the same (spotty) QA process, from the same supply chains. It's just that Argentina slaps batshit insane duties on it, like most Latin American countries.

Well, see that's just the thing, they don't have all the same stuff. A lot of the electronics are older electronics...not a whole lot older, but still not the most up to date brands. And I'm not sure how what kind of products they're now allowing into the country due to Kirchner semi-closing the borders to imports.

You can def have products shipped by courier from the US, but that's when you run into the 30-50% duties. I've been there, done that, my friend. Bring everything you need with you no matter how many boxes you need to bring and you'll be fine. G Luck!

I think his is usefull advice.
TSA policy:
If it is plastic wrapped at the airport , and there is a tag from the company that wrapped it , ON THE HANDLE , then TSA will re wrap it at no cost to you when they search your luggage .
If it has electronics they WILL search it.
When you are at the airport , at the check in conveyer , ASK to speak to one of the supervisors there ( they are usually the ones checking the line of people . Tell them your situation , TELL them you have electronics , , fragile electronics.
This pays always. I usually bring back the odd used lcd monitor , motherboards , etc.
Put all your cabling in see thru zip lock bags.
Use this rule of thumb:
If you dont want it stolen , wrap it at the airport.
Instead of a lock , use a tie wrap on the zippers.
I usually leave a few tie wraps in the vivivle inside sleve with a note to tsa to use the tie wraps to replace the one they broke to check my bags.
Whenever you can , bring anything LCD in your carry on ( 19 inch and smaller).
I lost a thinkpad lcd to rough handling , and a motherboard also .
I feel that if you make it easy for them to check you out quickly , you shouldnt have a problem . I never lost anything to theft from TSA. They are trained that if they DO steal , they WILL lose their jobs.
I know a TSA guy that moonlights as a driver , and he told me that their supervisors are all over them when i comes to theft.
If you need to bring a Server , just bring the motherboard , buy the case here . Pack the motherboard on a frame so that 40 suitcases piled ontop of yours wont bend or crush it.
Deffinatly good advice to make that you are taking it back with you . You shouldnt get harrassed , as many buiss people come here and its a given that they will be setting up some sort of office or tech space to get their work done.
Just reply . "For la oficina mi trabajo" if they ask in eze.
just dont bring 12 ipads , you know ...

ps. I also got in the habit of printing out an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet with my name , flight number , date , ans destination . I have the plastic wrap guy insert it before the last 2 turns. It also helps when u are waitng , confused at the belt wondering if u remember what yur luggage looked like while the valium starts wearing off -or not

Thanks for the good advice.

At what stage in the process can you ask them to wrap something for you at the airport? Sorry for the dumb question; I've never done it before.

gsi16386 said:
And I'm not sure how what kind of products they're now allowing into the country due to Kirchner semi-closing the borders to imports.

Are you saying that because of the 50% duties, the periodic port disputes, or some other artifact of policy?

After you weigh in a the ticket counter , or before , make to the wrapping carousell. I know there is one at jfk and Miami , there isnt one at Laguardia , but the manager at the LAN counter was nice enough to have my luggage brought to me in the layover in Miami , and I was able to wrap it there.
I recall that there was a rash or suicase breaking and robberies at EZE about a year ago perpetrated on Spanish tourists in Eze. Even ate their candy .

Back