Getting Money Into Argentina (For Non Americans?)

downunder

Registered
Before someone tells me to search for it, I have, and everything I can find pretty much only applies to Americans with American bank accounts.

I am an Australian, I get paid via paypal.
What is the best way for me to get my money into the country at close to the blue dollar rate?

One option is to use your PayPal debit card across the border at the ATM and bring dollars back to Argentina.

I am not sure of a cash service that operates out of Australia (like Xoom or Azimo). Exchange4free (https://exchange4free.com/argentina) works from New Zealand, not sure if that has any relevance for you. If not, unless you kind find an alternative service you have a few more options.

Are you already here? If not, bring as many US dollars as you can with you, really load up, if you are only here a limited time you can change it and have enough to live on. I realize this depends on you a) having enough savings to "load up" and B) that you are not already here and/or are planning on staying long term.

Go to Uruguay and take money out in US dollars to change back here in Argentina. This will depend on if you are in BA and if your bank card does not have a daily limit I suppose.

I hope someone else can think of other options for you, because otherwise you are going to an ATM here and getting stiffed on exchange rate.

Can you give me a basic rundown of how that exchange4free actually works?
like in what way do you receive the cash. Looks like they work from Australia.

Not in Argentina yet, will be there in about a month and a half, currently pulling 1g USD a week so I will be 'loaded up' enough to survive for a while.

Can you give me a basic rundown of how that exchange4free actually works?
like in what way do you receive the cash. Looks like they work from Australia.

Not in Argentina yet, will be there in about a month and a half, currently pulling 1g USD a week so I will be 'loaded up' enough to survive for a while.

I do not use exchange4free, I use other services. However they all work the same or close enough.

You sign up, select the country you're sending from and the one you're sending too.
Enter your details (typical online stuff like name, address, etc.)
Enter details of your recipient. If you are the recipient it's ok, although you will need an Argentine address. You will also have to put an ID number of the recipient (your passport number for example).
The transaction will then be processed and they will take the money from your account.

Important: Once the transaction is in place you will be requested to send proof of ID. For Azimo and Smallworlds it was just a photo of my passport front and back (the actual page of your details of course and a smartphone photo was enough). If I remember, Exchange4free asks for the ID proof and a proof of address, which would mean a bill in your name.

Once your documents clear the transaction will be completed (Azimo does this in less than a day, not sure on E4F).

You (the recipient) will receive an email to tell you the money is ready for pickup, usually the next day. Azimo uses Argenper for cash pickups, I am not sure about E4F.
You go to the pick up office and collect the money... however it's important to know that these days you need an Argentine CUIL number. I am not sure your situation and whether you can get one yourself, but if not you will need an Argentine confidant who can help you. If you do need to use a friend/lover ;) then you will need to make them the recipient from the start.

That covers everything I think, although I surely missed something. There is a member here who works for exchange4free and usually PM's when someone mentions the company. She helped me get a refund from them, so she will probably be a good base to touch. TaraE4F is her name.

Really though, bring as many US dollars as you can.

I may as well just use my bank card if that is the case
If that is your choice, you must be aware that you wll be paying 60% more for everything. If i was you, I would be getting USD from Uruguay, or depending on the amounts, use a cueva and get the money here in Argentina. Also you can try to find a realible company or person that buys your Paypal balance and gives you the money here.

If that is your choice, you must be aware that you wll be paying 60% more for everything.

I think he was referring to using the bank card in Uruguay to withdraw US$, not here. If that's not the case, nikad is right and you would be paying a nice 'fee' for each transaction.
One thing you should do before coming here is also notify your bank about your move. I had a friend here who is working in Australia and everytime he used his aussie credit card, they'd block it. Funny enough, the one time it didn't get blocked was when someone in the Philippines made several withdrawals on an ATM with 'his card' (which was physically in Argentina)...

I think he was referring to using the bank card in Uruguay to withdraw US$, not here. If that's not the case, nikad is right and you would be paying a nice 'fee' for each transaction.
One thing you should do before coming here is also notify your bank about your move. I had a friend here who is working in Australia and everytime he used his aussie credit card, they'd block it. Funny enough, the one time it didn't get blocked was when someone in the Philippines made several withdrawals on an ATM with 'his card' (which was physically in Argentina)...

These banks are 'trigger happy'..they love blocking the cards. they really expect that a person will live in his home country for rest of his life and never travel. And if he/she travels..must inform bank every time..

they should come with a better way of doing this.

These banks are 'trigger happy'..they love blocking the cards. they really expect that a person will live in his home country for rest of his life and never travel. And if he/she travels..must inform bank every time..

they should come with a better way of doing this.

My card has been blocked so many times, once the same day I had phoned to get it unblocked.

Back