getting sick

bmagda

Registered
Hi All!

I wanted to know what it's like having a cold over there. From what I've read the pharmacy is pretty much a good replacement for a doctor, but has anyone had to go to the doctor/dentist over there? Any trustworthy, quality names of doctors/dentists I should be aware? My greatest fear is getting sick over there.

Thanks so much!!

I've always found Health care in Buenos Aires to be excellent. Many doctors also speak English and the health insurance plans are pretty good/extensive. I've also heard that public hospitals are great in an emergency (good care but very run-down facilities). If you do a search on this forum, you'll probably find much more information.
Pharmacies usually suffice if you just have a cold but if its anything more than that, most people just see a dr.

Ashley said:
I've always found Health care in Buenos Aires to be excellent. Many doctors also speak English and the health insurance plans are pretty good/extensive. I've also heard that public hospitals are great in an emergency (good care but very run-down facilities). If you do a search on this forum, you'll probably find much more information.
Pharmacies usually suffice if you just have a cold but if its anything more than that, most people just see a dr.

what if I am just on MedEx. Is it worth it financially to go to a doctor?

bmagda said:
what if I am just on MedEx. Is it worth it financially to go to a doctor?

What does that mean? How expensive does it have to be not to be worth it?????

I went to the doctor the other day, got a prescription for amoxicilin paid 50 pesos, no insurance needed.

For future reference - you don't need a prescription for Amoxicilina. Just ask the pharmacist for it.

Yeah but I wasn't sure of the dosage and wasn't completely confident self diagnosing strep

Strep also isn't necessarily just a bacteria -- there's viral versions, so before taking any antibiotics you're always best to do as he did and see a doctor.

citygirl said:
For future reference - you don't need a prescription for Amoxicilina. Just ask the pharmacist for it.

Sorry, but you DO need a prescription for Amoxicilina. It it not legal for the pharmacist to sell it without a prescription! LATIN COUNTRIES!

Back