getting sick

bmagda said:
what if I am just on MedEx. Is it worth it financially to go to a doctor?

I have no idea what MedEx is. I'm assuming it is some kind of US health provider in which case you should probably check with them as to whether or not they cover medical care while abroad. If they don't, then your best bet is to buy Argentine health insurance if you're here long term or a travel insurance plan from the US if you're just visiting for a couple of weeks.
Argentine health insurance can be pretty cheap (depending on your age) for a basic plan if you shop around (Medicus did an expat plan if I remember rightly that was around 200 pesos per month) and usually covers all non pre-existing conditions. It also entitles you to a discount on your meds.
If you can't afford insurance here, you can go to a public hospital for emergency treatment as a foreigner. A pharmacist could also probably point you in the right direction (though this might be to a doctor).

Well, you can indeed buy amoxicilina without a prescription in BA (legal or not), you need to know exactly what format - dosage you want though. Don´t expect the pharmacist to help you out there, you´ll just get a blank look if you ask for just the drug name.

Where are you from Magda? If it's northern Europe I'd say there's every chance you won't get a cold here. I haven't had one since I've been in BA (I moved here in April last year and had also spent two sniffle-free winters here prior to that), and I can't think of any northern Europeans I know who've been affected by it. It gets chilly here at times, and I know temperature's not the only thing affecting it, but still...

Also Argsteve's advice isn't quite as silly as it might seem. Fernet Branca was originally mixed as a remedy for sore throats. When I was in the UK and had a sore throat or sensed something slightly worse coming on, I'd often pour a measure of fernet into a shot glass and take it right before going to bed, and wake up with my throat feeling absolutely fine.

(Now watch as I come down with the flu tomorrow...)

A rider to my previous post: when I say 'something slightly worse', I do of course mean with my throat. Fernet Branca doesn't cure broken bones or muscle pain, whatever some people might tell you.

Gaucho Sam said:
If it's northern Europe I'd say there's every chance you won't get a cold here.

I agree but to add my little story the place I lived once didn't have too much insulation (those hot summer days I assume) and during the autumn and winter weeks the daily temperature was around 12 and the night 0 with strong winds. Even with decent heater I still got the cold.

So regardless to the personal sensitivity coming from Europe can extend the temperature limits but not ultimately. 0 degrees is 0 degrees everywhere. :) And except using a sleeping bag it's not the best to sleep in.

Where are you from Magda? If it's northern Europe I'd say there's every chance you won't get a cold here.

I'd say there is a fair chance of getting sick here, if you've never been to South America before. As with travel to any new continent, the 'bugs' here can be different from the ones your body is already immune to.

In the first 6 months I was here I got sick with much more frequency than I ever had before.
But you'll be fine :)

Gaucho Sam said:
A rider to my previous post: when I say 'something slightly worse', I do of course mean with my throat. Fernet Branca doesn't cure broken bones or muscle pain, whatever some people might tell you.

oh yeah, i'm having fernet branca right now and i feel great!!

And I've definitely bought amoxicilina without any prescription. getting a script for amoxicilina is helpful only if you want it to cost less.

If you're planning on staying a while, I suggest getting Argentine health insurance. You never know when you might get sick. Insurance is pretty affordable here and offers good coverage and care. I have a plan with OSDE that's a little over $100 US a month and gives me unlimited doctor visits, lower prescription costs, and coverage in case of an emergency. For me, it's been a lifesaver.

If you already have a plan, you should figure out which doctors accept your insurance so you'll know where to go.

One of the best things here is the high quality of medical care if you choose good private clinics like IADT. Also top medical plans will give you access to very good care.

aliceshool said:
Sorry, but you DO need a prescription for Amoxicilina. It it not legal for the pharmacist to sell it without a prescription! LATIN COUNTRIES!

While technically that is the case, you can indeed ask the pharmacist for it and even at the bigger chains - they will dispense it without a prescription. . Granted, if you have health insurance & prescription, you'll pay less but my point is you can buy it without.

I don't make the (lack of) rules, just explaining how it works.

Back