GNC Like Store?

What is it with Americans and their vitamins/supplements?

I have always wanted to know the reasons behind such habit ... I am really curious... is it because health care is not as affordable as in other countries and they need to keep healthy?

Please enlighten me? My American boss came to BA last month - I went to her apartment and I counted at least 10 supplement bottles spread around the room ... and from time to time I read posts like this one... I am intrigued.

nativexpat said:

I have always wanted to know the reasons behind such habit ... I am really curious... is it because health care is not as affordable as in other countries and they need to keep healthy?

Please enlighten me? My American boss came to BA last month - I went to her apartment and I counted at least 10 supplement bottles spread around the room ... and from time to time I read posts like this one... I am intrigued.

Pursuing the fountain of youth is a national American pastime; there's always some newly-discovered, "life-extending" nutrient in the news. At the same time, the eating habits of many Americans are very unbalanced, and they may be too busy or lazy to care. Rather than completely overhaul their lifestyle and start eating seafood for omega-3s, kale and yogurt for calcium, spinach for folic acid, and beets for carotenoids, a lot of people would, sadly, prefer to just pop a couple of pills and call it a day. In college, I once berated my ex for going days without eating a vegetable, and his response was, "Eh, my philosophy is: take a daily vitamin and then eat whatever you want" (sigh.)

NikBaires said:
How do you know your on BAExpats?

Only one person will answer your question, but two find the need to express their views on a whole bunch of people who don't give a shit.

HAAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

Well you know, after a long stint in Buenos Aires, they no longer know how to be effective and answer questions directly. In fact, they tend to master the art of wining, bitching, moaning, and complaining. Bunch of losers with 0 respect...

NikBaires said:
Hey,

Is there a store like GNC to buy suppliments?

Hey bro, go to the corner of Av. Luis Maria Campos and Santa Fe (It's just past Plaza Italia). There's a place right on the corner there that sells all sorts of sports equipment as well as supplements.

Now, you need to understand that there won't be NEAR the selection that they have in a GNC or anywhere in the States for that matter. Not only that, but the quality won't be near as good and the prices will be higher, so be prepared. I make it a point to stock up on Whey Protein and my other supplements when I take my trip back to the States. I would highly recommend you do the same in the future...GOOD LUCK!!

Haha......Thanks Gsi for A) Giving me a laugh and B) Actually pointing me in the right direction.

Probably just add it to the mule list for the next friend who comes down.

nativexpat said:

It's a few factors:

1) while the US ranks up there with places like the UK in obesity, the statistics encompass the entire society. What actually lowers the figures a bit are the percentage at the top that go above and beyond in keeping a proper diet...which includes various supplements to add components not found in native foods.

2) Melting Pot: while most cities in the world are similar in being a mix of various cultures, the US has always been one of the more unique melting pots. You have the traditional European influences due to all the immigration over the years on the east coast. But there is also the west coast. And starting with the massive Chinese immigration to build the railroads in the 1800's, the US west coast has a large influx in immigration from all over Asia and that side of the Pacific Rim. And with that, came the knowledge about various supplements important for the human diet that you just won't find in all foods. And that knowledge trickled down to the populous.

3) Education: while the US ranks low in areas like mathmatics, the same demographic mentioned above have a firm grasp on the science of nutrition. It's fairly mainstream too via weekly health articles in popular non-health magazines, television shows, etc.

4) Native Foods: tied in with education, the US diet isn't necessarily going to include native foods that contain all the necessary vitamins and minerals needed. Supplements are a way to remedy that as they are what their name is...supplements...to the diet.

NikBaires said:
Hey,

Is there a store like GNC to buy suppliments?

For supplements, you'll find most of the same but on a smaller scale, at many places in Barrio Chino. Also at most Diatecas.

If you're looking for things beyond vitamins, etc, like a place specializing in proteins, etc, for working out, I know a few places. There's a place, don't know the name, on Marcelo T de Alvear in Barrio Norte. It's between Callao and Junin, on the right side of the road coming from Callao. There is also a place at Campos/Santa Fe/Fitz Roy intersection in Palermo. It's across from the San Marcos on Santa Fe.

Back