Going back home

Hi Ber! I totally understand you! I lived abroad for many years... then returned to my home country, and struggled to adjust, and within 6 months I was desperate for a new adventure, so that's how I ended up here in Buenos Aires!

If you'd like to meet up with some of us foreigners (and a few argentines too!) let me know!
:)

hope the lost feeling goes away soon!
all the best

I am a USA anti-Trump native. Just rented an apartment to an Argentine cardiologist, whom I am coming to distrust. I have been honest and generous in this entire transaction. In the beginning, he was charming and insistent on renting this apartment. I spent $8000 in renovations prior to his arrival, simply to make it as nice as possible for him and his family. I helped them in every possible way to get settled. Then, suddenly, he turned caustic. Suddenly, He disliked everything about the apartment-which he had seen via Facetime, whilst in full direction of the tour. Next, as best I can tell, he vandalized my central air conditioning system while I was out of town. A new central AC and furnace cost me another $8000. He has not even been here for one full month and already I losing money on this transaction. It is as if he expects to be cheated and defrauded, so he does those things preemptively. Meanwhile, I have no interest in dishonest transactions and I never participate in them. If I could trust him to remain civilized and reasonable, this could be a good arrangement. His wife, who is Columbian, is ironically much more mature and balanced than he. At this point I am very guarded.

I am glad to hear you love New York. I am a native New Yorker, born and raised and have lived in Buenos Aires for 5 years. I have a wonderful partner, and a few very good friends, however I have been cheated, robbed, stolen, lied to more than ever before in my life, and have even had a property occupied illegally by Argentines. My business associate also stole from me, used our business for illegal transactions, money laundering, etc. So while the actual friends I have here are wonderful people, this country has a long way to go in terms of being taken seriously because when it comes to business things are done usually with the idea of one taking advantage of the other, not 2 parties working together for a common goal. I was always a trusting but careful person before I came to Argentina, and now, I trust NOBODY ever, not their word, not their signature, not even a smile. When I meet somebody new here the first thing I think is what is this person going to do to steal from me. Actually come to think of it this mostly applies to people from Buenos Aires Capital, los porteños, the people who I've met from the interior of the country have been much more honest. I love this country and it's so sad how it's percieved, however the people here make their own reputation.

It's always fun to see how people from high-trust societies react when they move to a low-trust place. It's amusing to hear their solutions. They also mistakenly think that the "country has a long way to go." Actually, your home country has a long way to go towards becoming more like Argentina. Cooperation is in decline everywhere due to deep and likely unstoppable evolutionary forces. I'm working on a model of it :)

Back