Going back home

Ber

Registered
Hi there.

I am actually not a real exPat. Well, I am in a way: I am an Argentinian living in New York. So I am some sort of expat. Particularly, as I left my home country almost 9 years ago, at this time I might be an expat here and there.

In any case, I am moving back home in few months and, although I have a mix of feelings, I guess happiness prevails :)

But what it moves me to join this forum is a strange wish I have for not loosing the opportunity of meeting new people. I've been living in Switzerland (which I didnt enjoy at all), Germany (for 4 years) and then New York (which is more than just another city). I am afraid I will miss this multi-cultural experience and I hope to find here a way to keep myself in contact with, at least, some of it.

I've been reading some posts, particularly those of people looking forward to leave Argentina. :) I've been there! (did I mention I lived in Switzerland?). In my humble opinion, all expats have that feeling at least once. I see no bad on that. There is no place like home (and it is not true that home is where we are. We can make our selves at home, but home is just one place). And I say this while seating "at home" in my beloved NYC. (how much I'm going to miss this city!!! I wish I was born here so I could always come back "home").

anyways, I hope there are some nice expats there that still thinks we, Argentinians, are nice and caring people, open-minded citizens of the world. :)

I like your attitude, Ber, and wish you all the best in your transition back to your homeland. After living in another country (or countries) for so long, it's easier to see the world full of possibilities and places to live. I hope that you can keep some sense of your multicultural sense that you'll miss in NYC, but that you do find love and happiness in your heart for returning home (though NYC can also be a home to you, if you feel that it is, it IS!). Cheers! :)

I am in a similar situation (30 years in USA). My reason for coming to this country: my American husband who I met in Brazil. I miss so much of Argentina yet I am sure once there I will miss a lot of USA too. Anywhere we live there is a prize to be paid. Sometimes I am scared of this adventure in which we are about to embark but then I know that if we don't try we will always regret it. I will miss the incredible weather of South Florida, the ocean ... the order, and Whole Foods.
I will not miss the cookie-cutter houses of South Florida (some exceptions: Coral Gables, Coconut Grove), the cost of healthcare, the home owners association with its unfriendly letters reminding us to cut the grass, wash the roof, etc. The perfect place? Perfect is different for each of us.

Do you think heath insurance is cheap here, especially in relation to salaries? I am struggling to pay my insurance here which is approaching US prices. Homeowners associations are so bad in the US? Have you ever gone to home owners meetings here? Shouting, lack of respect, insulting and very little gets done. If you are reminded to cut your grass etc it is in the interest of everyone. What is wrong with cooperating with the community? Cookie cutter houses? I was just in Naples on the Gulf COast. Houses and condos were charming, stylish and impeccable in every way. High standard of living. Made a trip to Palm Bay a couple of weeks after Naples. Not as upscale but looked like there were lots of lovely homes and a very comfortable life stye, affected by economy though. Not easy times.

Ber said:
Hi there.

I am actually not a real exPat. Well, I am in a way: I am an Argentinian living in New York. So I am some sort of expat. Particularly, as I left my home country almost 9 years ago, at this time I might be an expat here and there.

In any case, I am moving back home in few months and, although I have a mix of feelings, I guess happiness prevails :)

But what it moves me to join this forum is a strange wish I have for not loosing the opportunity of meeting new people. I've been living in Switzerland (which I didnt enjoy at all), Germany (for 4 years) and then New York (which is more than just another city). I am afraid I will miss this multi-cultural experience and I hope to find here a way to keep myself in contact with, at least, some of it.

I've been reading some posts, particularly those of people looking forward to leave Argentina. :) I've been there! (did I mention I lived in Switzerland?). In my humble opinion, all expats have that feeling at least once. I see no bad on that. There is no place like home (and it is not true that home is where we are. We can make our selves at home, but home is just one place). And I say this while seating "at home" in my beloved NYC. (how much I'm going to miss this city!!! I wish I was born here so I could always come back "home").

anyways, I hope there are some nice expats there that still thinks we, Argentinians, are nice and caring people, open-minded citizens of the world. :)

I am glad to hear you love New York. I am a native New Yorker, born and raised and have lived in Buenos Aires for 5 years. I have a wonderful partner, and a few very good friends, however I have been cheated, robbed, stolen, lied to more than ever before in my life, and have even had a property occupied illegally by Argentines. My business associate also stole from me, used our business for illegal transactions, money laundering, etc. So while the actual friends I have here are wonderful people, this country has a long way to go in terms of being taken seriously because when it comes to business things are done usually with the idea of one taking advantage of the other, not 2 parties working together for a common goal. I was always a trusting but careful person before I came to Argentina, and now, I trust NOBODY ever, not their word, not their signature, not even a smile. When I meet somebody new here the first thing I think is what is this person going to do to steal from me. Actually come to think of it this mostly applies to people from Buenos Aires Capital, los porteños, the people who I've met from the interior of the country have been much more honest. I love this country and it's so sad how it's percieved, however the people here make their own reputation.

Hello Ber: I am on the same boat, got back to Argentina after more than 10ys overseas, also lived in NYC for 5 years....muy fuerte todo, la verdad! still adjusting... Lets keep in touch, Bienvenida a Buenos Aires! and remember...renovarse es vivir so, I am positive you ve made the right decision... (same here). Let me know if you need tips or anything. Saluditos! Irene

Hi Irene,

I just read your post. It´s my first time in the forum since I came back. So many things to do before (and still!).
I am not quite adjusted yet and I actually wonder if this will happen AT ALL. Things are so different here...

Anyways, thanks for your post!

B

Hi Ber, I am also an Argentine, back in BA with 9 years abroad in 5 diferent countries, and often a visitor on this board for the intercultural contact. Ive been back for a few years now and am fairly settled but comming back here is the hardest adaptation I have had go through since I first left the country. I think part of it has to do with a transformed mind frame from the exposure to other cultures that locals cant understand. Whenever I was in a foreign country, cultural diferences were accepted because I was from Argentina, but in Argentina youre supposed to be Argentine! Also the fact that, at least in Buenos Aires, things are so caotic on so many levels I think makes it harder. In time however one readjusts and finds a place for both ones local and intercultural identity. You will do just fine adapting, and welcome home!!

Thanks for your words! That's exactly the way I feel. Still so lost in BsAs. Hopefully it will get better soon.
:)

Back