Going From Temp - Perm Residency

citygirl

Registered
Asking for a friend. No really - it is for a friend!

When you apply to change your status form temp resident to permanent resident - is it done when applying for the 3rd year (i.e., at the end of 2 years and going for your 3rd) or is it done after your 3rd year is complete?

He asked me and I *thought* I read here you could apply for a change while doing the renewal for the 3rd year but I can't find it. It would make his life easier - he keeps doing the student visa thing.

I remember going for perm res a couple of months before the final 3rd year was up to get the ball rolling, but then that was years ago.

A friend that is doing that just now was told in inmigración that she can apply after finishing 3rd dni process on the date of issuance of first dni (so 2 years after getting first dni).

Now, we all know that the office worker was maybe just avoiding any additional work or explaining, but it sounds a bit logical.

In 2010 I was able to request the "cambio de categoria" 60 days prior to the third renewal of my temporary residency. This means I had temporary residency for three full years, not two before becoming a permanent resident. I have not read anything that indicates the number of years has changed since then.

In 2010 I was able to request the "cambio de categoria" 60 days prior to the third renewal of my temporary residency. This means I had temporary residency for three full years, not two before becoming a permanent resident. I have not read anything that indicates the number of years has changed since then.

Uh, I might missed this detail (rather important one though). Seems even more logical... Ignore my post then ;)

Thanks guys - I will pass along the news. I'm not sure why I had 2 years in my head.

The information can seem misleading..the truth is you can only apply for a change from temporary to permanent residency near the end of your third "temporary" year, as Steve mentioned.

Back