Going From Temp - Perm Residency

Here's my current experience / situation, FYI:
  • I'm employed en blanco and everything is handled through work
  • DNI and temporary residence expires October 2015, after 2 years. This is my first residence of any kind (arrived Argentina 10/2013)
  • Was advised by company immigration lawyer that I could either extend temporary or ask for permanent residence. However, temporary residence extension can only be for 1 or 2 years max, for a total of 5 years (until I have to change to permanent residence).
  • For reasons covered elsewhere, I decided to go for temp residence and am in that process right now.

So, if your friend is in a similar situation (expiring DNI and work-sponsored temp residence) => same situation as mine. I'm pretty confident that the above is the process / timelines. Hope it helps.

Here's my current experience / situation, FYI:
  • I'm employed en blanco and everything is handled through work
  • DNI and temporary residence expires October 2015, after 2 years. This is my first residence of any kind (arrived Argentina 10/2013)
  • Was advised by company immigration lawyer that I could either extend temporary or ask for permanent residence. However, temporary residence extension can only be for 1 or 2 years max, for a total of 5 years (until I have to change to permanent residence).
  • For reasons covered elsewhere, I decided to go for temp residence and am in that process right now.

So, if your friend is in a similar situation (expiring DNI and work-sponsored temp residence) => same situation as mine. I'm pretty confident that the above is the process / timelines. Hope it helps

Somewhere someone is confused! You need to apply for and then renew temporary residency three consecutive years. At the END of the THIRD year OF TEMPORARY RESIDENCE you are eligible to apply for permanent residency..NOT BEFORE, (unless you marry a citizen.) So you become permanent the beginning of the FOURTH year if you decide to apply for permanency.

Somewhere someone is confused! You need to apply for and then renew temporary residency three consecutive years. At the END of the THIRD year OF TEMPORARY RESIDENCE you are eligible to apply for permanent residency..NOT BEFORE, (unless you marry a citizen.) So you become permanent the beginning of the FOURTH year if you decide to apply for permanency.

While this is true for temporary residence granted for the visa rentista and pensionado, perhaps the work visa is different.

This would only be the case if a work visa can be granted for two years. I "remember" one post that indicated it was possible.

And if it can also be renewed for two years, the second renewal could only be for one year, that is if the maximum number of years to have temporary residency is five.

Back