Going to Brasil to visit

KevinJH

Registered
I am going to Brazil (RIO) the end of November. Tomorrow I have the appointment for the tourist application. I have all the necessary documents, but I am curious about the 140 U$D fee. How can I pay that? Can I take cash or pay by credit. I noticed on a website they only accept US Postal Service Money Order, but that is from the States side .... I am currently living here in Buenos Aires. As anyone gone through this process and can offer advice? thanks!

After your "interview," you'll have to go deposit the ~$140 USD (in ARS) at a bank. I think its Itaú, but it might be Banco Francés -- I can't remember.

Ah Ok ...so I deposit the 140 dollars (in Pesos) at one of the banks in BA .., then do I return to the Brazilian Consulate with some kind of receipt of payment confirmation? Thanks for the quick reply.

Kevin -- No need for you to return to the Consulate General of Brazil after making the deposit. At least during my two separate times applying for the visa, I didn't have to return to the Consulate until I went to pick up the passport. You may have to show a receipt, though. So, hold onto it! All in all, a fairly easy process. Have fun in Brazil!

I did this a few months ago. I took all my documents to the consulate. Once they were approved, they gave me directions to a bank to make the payment about a block away. I paid in cash. Not sure if they take cards. I had to bring the receipt back to the consulate right after. Then they told me to come back a few days later to pick up my passport. It was super easy.

ETA: The tourist visa for Brazil is now valid for 10 years for U.S. citizens, but you can't spend more than 90 days per year in Brazil.

Aside from the Visa, not required for me, did you manage to get cheap flights anywhere, as I want to go to Rio before Xmas, and am having problems getting a decent airfare. Cheers.

Hi,

I found these sites helpful. I'm a US citizen, I applied and got my Brazil visa recently.

http://www.conbrasil.org.ar/CONSBRASIL/visas_otros01engl.asp

http://www.discoverbuenosaires.com/brazilian-visa-buenos-aires

I had a similar experience to the people above. Although, I didn't bring all the proper documents the first time, and it was a real pain, and found the people working at the consulate unfriendly and unhelpful. I thought they needed a bank statement, which is what I brought in. The woman who I was working with, denied me, and said I needed the BALANCE for today! I had to return with that. Anyway, I finally received my visa.

As a US citizen, once you get your tourist visa, supposedly it's good for 10 years, and you can spend 90 days per year in the country. However, you can extend to 180 days max per year. I didn't do the extension, but I was told that you can extend once you are in Brazil, by going to a Federal Police station. I tried to do it, but the station was in the airport, and who knew they would close at 4pm, which is right when I got there.

I hope this is somewhat helpful.

Cheers, Wendy

I went recently and was not able to get cheap flights anywhere. But I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Rio, Salvador and Morro de São Paulo, which I highly recommend!!

Liam3494 said:
Aside from the Visa, not required for me, did you manage to get cheap flights anywhere, as I want to go to Rio before Xmas, and am having problems getting a decent airfare. Cheers.

Back