Going to Jose Ignacio. Tips?

Does the US have a place similar to José Ignacio?
Fiscal,

I don't know of a place in the USA that only has tourism for 2 months out of the year and then so dead. I'd still go to my house in La Barra (which I preferred to Jose Ignacio) during the off season and it was peaceful but it was really dead. If you go to Punta del Este drive by some of the tall buildings and you will only see a few lights on in the buildings at night.

One of the annoying issues was my house got broken into a few times. And it wasn't far from a police station. But thieves knew that owners aren't there much during the off season so they could smash a window and break in even though I had a security system. I'm not sure how prevalent that is there. But it happened to a few other foreign owners of houses there as well.

I was fortunate that a wealthy European tourist made an unsolicited offer to purchase the house. It's a nice place but I think Punta del Este is way overrated. I'd much prefer the beaches in Brazil which is much nicer.

Thanks for the perspective. Why do you like Barra over José Ignacio?

Thanks for the perspective. Why do you like Barra over José Ignacio?
It may be different now as I haven't been back in many years since I sold my house. But La Barra was far more laid back and unpretentious vs. Jose Ignacio. I just felt like Jose Ignacio was too far out of the way. It is a good 30 minutes past La Barra. I preferred the beaches in La Barra vs. Jose Ignacio. More reasonably priced restaurants and shops.

And I liked the proximity to downtown Punta del Este which was less than 15 minutes from my house. It was so easy to get to and there were more things open in Punta del Este year-round vs. Jose Ignacio.

I'd go to escape for a weekend from Buenos Aires but I'd still want to get stuff to eat at restaurants and stuff so I enjoyed being close to downtown Punta del Este.

Maybe I'd equate it to some of my friends in Buenos Aires that had fancy houses out in the Northern Suburbs. Yeah, they were nice but it was too inconvenient and too far out of the way from the city. No way I'd ever want a place no matter how nice it was in the Northern suburbs of BA. Just too far out of the way.

Back