Going to the police?

hibhy

Registered
Hello everyone,

I have a little problem and would like some advice.

I moved to Bs As 3 months ago, and found a room to rent through craigslist.
I was sharing an appartement with an argentine guy (whose parents own the place, but i've never met them).

I signed a contract, and paid a 400 US$ deposit that he was supposed to give me back whenever I decided to move out.

The place was dirty with almost no water in the shower, no hot water at all, and no internet (all these things I pay for according to my contract).

I told him I was moving out at the end of last month.

Long story short : he now owes me 600 US$, but says he has no money right now to pay. He makes up stories such as stays in the hospitals to gain some time, and I'm tired of it. He's also becoming a bit violent, and he insults me when I contact him (when he answers his phone..) I think I might never see my money.

I was thinking of going to the police since I have a real contract, and a paper that he hand wrote where he says he owes me money.
But is going to the police something I can do here? I know that in my country it'd work, but I don't know about here? Any advice please??

Thank you very much :)

send a pm to Attorneyin BA(username) on this forum.His name is Martin and he will help you..I,d knock your landord senseless personally!!!

You will need to file a police report about the scam, at least to set a precedent. Also report that this guy has violent tendencies towards you, also set up a precedent in case this asshole tries to intimidate you in any way. Try to gather as much personal information on this guy as possible (contact numbers, his and his relatives if possible, other adresses, also his and his relatives) and of course, guard all papers he signed regarding the money and otherwise.
Dont do anything until you talk to a lawyer though (hopefully Martin can help you on this) if not any other and then, considering this sob may be violent when dealing with this, try to have as little contact with him as possible, ignore him as much as you can (all this while talking to a lawyer and the police reports are being filed). In fact, if you can, try to get out of there while all this is taking place. If you cant afford for the time being renting another place you may want to check sites like www.couchsurfing.com where ppl will give you a place to stay in exchange of nothing for a certain period of time. (I dont know this guy at all and the suggestion of leaving may be a bit too much but considering he got to the point where he insults you and that you may end up filing a police report against him i believe it´s something to consider).
Howard, knocking this guy senseless is something i would sign up for, we should create an event and set up a list so folks here can join as well :p

jazrgz said:
You will need to file a police report about the scam, at least to set a precedent. Also report that this guy has violent tendencies towards you, also set up a precedent in case this asshole tries to intimidate you in any way.

Did he become violent personally or over the phone? If over the phone, you don't really have grounds for a police report.

Did he threaten you in any way? If yes, then you could file a police report.

jazrgz said:
Try to gather as much personal information on this guy as possible (contact numbers, his and his relatives if possible, other adresses, also his and his relatives) and of course, guard all papers he signed regarding the money and otherwise.

The personal information you need is his full name, document number and address. This should be in the contract you signed.

You also mention he signed a paper stating he owed the money. That paper, if it's well drafted, could make the difference between seeing your money back or not. Be sure to keep all the documents in a safe place, preferably not in the apartment you're renting (in case he locks you out).

Please feel free to contact me by pm or through my website www.fandinoabogados.com, or by email at [email protected]

Thank you both for your answers! :) (Attorney in BA, I might contact you next week).

I moved out last week, and live in a new place. But of course I had to pay the rent, and I need the money he owes me.

I still have the keys to his appartement, and don't plan on giving them back until I see my money.

When I say he's violent, it's just that he knocked a table out of anger, and that scared me :p
But yes, he insulted me, said I was a fucking bitch who didn't understand he had problems...etc.

Last time I went there, I went with a friend because I don't want to go there alone.

As for the documents, I have the contract, the paper he signed with his ID number (I don't know if it's the right number though), and some texts he sent me (but they are in english).

I might take a lawyer, the thing is, I'm a student and therefore I don't have a lot of money. If the lawyer is more expensive than what the guys owes me, I don't know if it's interesting :p

You could always give the keys to a needy family of piqueteros and give him a taste of his own medicine.

Back