Good & Cheap Medical Care in La Boca

Bron

Registered
After lying in bed miserable with a sore throat all week, I decided to seek some medical care. The guitar player in my band, a Porteño from Barracas/La Boca pointed me toward a salita, which I guess is a sort of volunteer clinic with some government subsidy, called Hospital Comunitario Modelo.

I'm not sure exactly how it works or how they make money, but I received similar care to what I've received in the past at the Hospital Aleman, except I didn't have to wait around very long and I only paid 24 pesos for my consultation. I met with a very friendly doctor who (of course) wanted to know why I was here in Argentina, and then examined my throat and gave me the prescription I needed.

For a minor health issue like a bad sore throat, this salita was perfect. I haven't been to the public clinics, but apparently it's a huge quilombo where you wait around all day and leave sicker than you arrived. The German hospital is good, but they charge a lot (by Arg. standards). Apparently the medical equipment they use at salitas is outdated, but that's not a problem for small things (to me at least).

Here's the info:

Hospital Comunitario Modelo
Juan de Dios Filiberto 1056 (ex Moussy)
tel: 4303-3383 or 4302-7811 (for information & appt's)
Monday - Friday 8am-8pm
Saturdays 8am-5pm

It's about 3 blocks from Caminito, La Boca, so you can take the 29, 152, 64(?), 53, or any number of colectivos to get there. Hope this was helpful!

Back