Good iced coffee?

girlathepub

Registered
The weather's getting warm and I'm embarrassed by the number of times I've been to Starbucks for an iced coffee... Any ideas/suggestions for another place that does a proper iced coffee?

NOT frappes, please! Just regular iced coffee. Nothing fancy.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! :)

Cheers,
Kristine

Havana I think does iced coffee. I like starbucks myself because they´re one of the few places that does real espresso which is pretty necessary for a good non dilute iced coffee.

Tall 4 shot Iced Americano sin agua. Had one today, truly excellent. A hint: If you´re creative about how you word your order you can usually get that drink for the 10 peso price of a tall hot americano which would have half the coffee in it.

Let me be the first person to say:

"If you know in advance that you are going to want iced coffee, you would be better off making it yourself."

Others can chime in, but making coffee and then putting it in a pitcher in the fridge just like Starbucks is far and away your cheapest and best option.

suerte

Yeah, that's what I'd usually do, but I usually want some when I have to kill time in between classes so running home to make some isn't always an option. :)

But thanks, guys!

girlathepub said:
Yeah, that's what I'd usually do, but I usually want some when I have to kill time in between classes so running home to make some isn't always an option. :)

But thanks, guys!

I recommend using those "termos" that most people use for hot water for their mate. Only use this for your iced coffee.

Buy a 0.5 liter termo. It's much more manageable. And maybe keep the termo in the freezer (lid off) and the coffee in the fridge.

suerte chica

In every neighbourhood I have lived in, the nearest Starbucks gets to know me. If you are a plain coffee drinker (like I am), it's probably one of the best values in town. I get a cafe Americano grande -- or grande FRIO (iced) in the summer. $11.50 pesos of delish. That's it. I doubt you can beat the price ratio since most less expensive coffees at smaller places are tiny. Starbucks gets pricy if you order frappa/mocha/latte-whatevers - just like in everywhere else. Other benefit: free soya milk (instead of surcharge as in NAmerica) - although they have a distribution issue right now and have been without it for about a month now!

I have asked in so many places and they never have a cold option, shame - you'd think it would be a best-seller when it gets really hot out. The other benefit of Starbucks n the summer is that if you avoid the weekend afternoons and weekday 'traffic hours' (5-7 PM), they are pretty calm and heavily air-conditioned ;-)

Hi Kristine,
Actually you can order a Ice coffee in anywhere you like, I learned this from a Sevillan friend of mine who loves Ice Coffee, just pop in any bar and ask for strong expresso or "bien cargado" old school says "cafe corto" and then ask for a small glass with ice... mix all, and thats it.... I know it probably small but very strong. Also if you wanna try something different, add lemon juice and lot of sugar, very nice

Pumor said:
I know it probably small but very strong. Also if you wanna try something different, add lemon juice and lot of sugar, very nice
If by "strong", you mean that it tastes like sludge, then you are correct.

If by "strong", you mean that it has a lot of caffeine, then you should really order about 4 of those to equal 1 iced coffee in the States.

The longer you roast coffee beans, the less caffeine the beans have. And since the coffee here is burned to shit, the caffeine content is minimal. So although it has the consistency of motor oil, you're really getting jipped on the jolt.

Buy Starbucks' "Breakfast Blend", brew the coffee at home, put the brew in the fridge, and then pour on ice when you want to have an iced coffee for the road. That's so far and away your best bet that we're simply wasting server space discussing anything else.

Actually, I am pleased to report that there s now soya milk at the SOHO location :) Other locations, not sure (Abasto didn't the other day).

Back