Good Morning Buenos Aires

Graham Greene did visit BA. He was shown around by Victoria Ocampo, to whom he dedicated the The Honorary Consul. The story takes place in place called "the Chaco".

The main character, Dr. Plarr (half British), keeps hoping that his diplomatic status (tenuous at best) might get him out of the jam he finds himself in. Of course it doesn't work out that way. Not exactly a commentary on expat-hood, but close enough.

Thanks BienTeVeo. I have read the Honorary Consul of course (after seeing the great film 'adaptation' with Michael Caine etc) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085236/

Ive found the dedication in The Honorary Consul (1973) "...with love, and in memory of the many happy weeks I have passed at San Isidro and Mar del Plata."

on this website which has a lot of Ocampo material including a photo of the two of them .... as well a loads more excellent stuff

Travels with Pen and Palate http://www.travel-wi...oriaocampo.html

Ocampo is wearing the famous sun-glasses - an important item also in the Greene novel - the significance of which is noted here

http://baires.elsur....onorary-consul/

I didnt know or maybe had forgotton the Victoria Ocampo connection - having visited the Ocampo MuseumsI would strongly recommend visits to all of these - sheer delight

This is an interesting La Nation article on her houses btw http://www.lanacion....victoria-ocampo

As for Greene writing about Buenos Aires was he actually here in 1973 or was that the date of publication? Greene was a well known Castro sympathiser presumably here under licence and Ocampo's protection. 1973 was a particularly feverish year in Argentine politics after Lanusse's supposed National Agreement to reconcile the Army with the Non-peronist democratic politicians and to hold a general election for the first time after 7 years. The efforts to keep out Peron only lead to the election of his left wing Montoneros stooge Hector Campora in the March 1973 General Election and then the displacement of the extreme left by the extreme Peronist right wing under the detestable Lopez Vega and the triumph of Peron's election in September and then stuff really got hot.

I will need to do some more on this!

Thanks for the links, PhilinBsAs. The novel was published in 73. How long before that he wrote it, I have no idea. But it was apparently one of his favorites, so I assume he would have published it straight away. I found a reference to his having written the novel in Buenos Aires - at the Lancaster Hotel. Victoria Ocampo would've been in her early 80s in 1973, though that doesn't mean she couldn't have been wearing those shades.

I'm living in one of my favourite European cities which I chose to retire in as my "Buenos Aires of the North" on the basis of it happening to satisfy best the 10 things I especially love about BA. Even though I'm very happy to live here, learning the ropes, settling in well and the locals are really nice, I miss BA because it has aspects that are important to me and that simply aren't matched by anything in Europe or anywhere. Unexpectedly, moving here has actually deepened my appreciation of BA, its spirit, creativity and people.

Had it not been for the fact that I'm a Canadian and British pensioner and therefore can't use "Xoom" and therefore must pay 35% more for things in Argentina than Americans do there, I'd not have had to abandon my move to BA and application for an Argentine 'pensionista' visa last year. That's how I came to be living where I am. It was all quite a surprise!

I miss BA because it has aspects that are important to me and that simply aren't matched by anything in Europe or anywhere.

What things in BA can't be matched by Europe? Street are perhaps, ice cream, beef?

Thanks for the links, PhilinBsAs. The novel was published in 73. How long before that he wrote it, I have no idea. But it was apparently one of his favorites, so I assume he would have published it straight away. I found a reference to his having written the novel in Buenos Aires - at the Lancaster Hotel. Victoria Ocampo would've been in her early 80s in 1973, though that doesn't mean she couldn't have been wearing those shades.

Have a look at the photo which says it was taken circa 1970 - Im having trouble posting photos so see on here http://www.travel-with-pen-and-palate-argentina.com/victoriaocampo.html

Yes the link posted previously to mentions this was his favourite novel.

http://baires.elsur.org/archives/graham-greene-the-honorary-consul/

Also this suggests that he felt it was also one of his hardest to write and that he had laboured over it - words taken from his second autobiography "Ways of escape"

http://greeneland.tripod.com/consul.htm

I'm going to email to ask some questions. Also to hunt out read his two autobiographies which look rather interesting! The two biographies are controversial according to what is on the "greeneland" site

I'm living in one of my favourite European cities which I chose to retire in as my "Buenos Aires of the North"

Had it not been for the fact that I'm a Canadian and British pensioner and therefore can't use "Xoom" and therefore must pay 35% more for things in Argentina than Americans do there, I'd not have had to abandon my move to BA and application for an Argentine 'pensionista' visa last year. That's how I came to be living where I am. It was all quite a surprise!

Hahaha the clue is that you are in Paris?

Xoom users are having it difficult now it seems. There is an alternative to Xoom which has been mentioned can be used by Europeans but Ive no experience of it.

"Ways of escape" the name of Greene's second autobiography - seems like there is a bit of that in a lot of us!

I'm living in one of my favourite European cities which I chose to retire in as my "Buenos Aires of the North" on the basis of it happening to satisfy best the 10 things I especially love about BA. Even though I'm very happy to live here, learning the ropes, settling in well and the locals are really nice, I miss BA because it has aspects that are important to me and that simply aren't matched by anything in Europe or anywhere. Unexpectedly, moving here has actually deepened my appreciation of BA, its spirit, creativity and people.

Im curious what city youre living in and what these things are that you love especially about BsAs, and found in this other city too.

Hahaha the clue is that you are in Paris?

Xoom users are having it difficult now it seems. There is an alternative to Xoom which has been mentioned can be used by Europeans but Ive no experience of it.

"Ways of escape" the name of Greene's second autobiography - seems like there is a bit of that in a lot of us!

Really, Paris? I dont get how that would have 10 fav. things in common with BsAs.

Back