Good Morning Buenos Aires

Paris dull? Apparently so dull even the locals are worried...http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/8139083/Paris-fights-image-as-boring-city-with-no-nightlife.html
Night life in Paris suck, very few good live place to go and the mayority very very expensive, almost all the locals just stay drinkin at home or in a private partys, not so nice to have fun for people in my age. Not so many young locals around just turist.

Re: The Daily Telegraph is hardly likely to have anything positive to say about Paris - not being the editorial line

Also Paris is the top world tourist destination not London so some envy there as well.

I know a bit about Paris. Inner Paris in August is totally abandoned to the Chinese Touriists except for elderly French relatives too old to attempt the annual migration to the Atlantic or Med Coasts and left to die in the heat ... whilst outer Paris enjoys having a jolly good time with Le Fire Bombs

Likewise Le Weekends when Parisians head off and out to annoy the rest of genuine France.

Cant wait to get back there preferably by their excellent trains to enjoy wonderful food and the thrill and excitement of a World City

World City - now wasnt this thread about Buenos Aires - the only World City in the Southern Hermisphere. :p

[background=rgb(242, 242, 242)]Sockhopper, on 24 January 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:[/background]

I'm living in one of my favourite European cities which I chose to retire in as my "Buenos Aires of the North" on the basis of it happening to satisfy best the 10 things I especially love about BA. Even though I'm very happy to live here, learning the ropes, settling in well and the locals are really nice, I miss BA because it has aspects that are important to me and that simply aren't matched by anything in Europe or anywhere. Unexpectedly, moving here has actually deepened my appreciation of BA, its spirit, creativity and people.

Had it not been for the fact that I'm a Canadian and British pensioner and therefore can't use "Xoom" and therefore must pay 35% more for things in Argentina than Americans do there, I'd not have had to abandon my move to BA and application for an Argentine 'pensionista' visa last year. That's how I came to be living where I am. It was all quite a surprise!

Im curious what city youre living in and what these things are that you love especially about BsAs, and found in this other city too.

Sockhopper,
I'm curious too. Can you please give us a hint, or maybe the general area?? What are your ten criteria??

[Somehow this thread turned into a Paris-vs.-BsAs discussion, and I'd love to get back to your original point(s).]

Thanks,
Jim

Another beautiful morning!

Cycled through to Belgrano and then Palermo to Retiro.

So many people enjoying the Sunday morning sun I did 25 km of very pleasant exercise.

Buenos Aires on a QUIET Summer Sunday is a good place to discover and relish by bike

even if the bike paths are sometimes rather ironic and or challenging and/or still leave more to the imagination than the actualité :)

[font=Arial']Wow, the things that some of you say about how a person can come to love a particular city rock me with your insight and wisdom. Especially from people who I think are way younger than me! You guys are deep! I'm a 'she' btw and have travelled all my life and lived in different countries sometimes with very little money but have had plenty of good experiences. [/font]

[font=Arial']I didn't answer Jam-Jam's question. My sense was, wrong or right, that he/she seemed to want a list of tangible 'things'- with measurements and precise angles - ready to be dissembled, examined, approved or rejected one by one as he saw fit. I've no time for negativity nor the desire or need to defend my choices. They're just mine and have nothing to do with what 'should' or 'shouldn't' appeal to me. What is 'should' when that's defined differently by wherever you're living or you feel more aligned with? [/font]

[font=Arial']In the next 3-week period, my husband and I face big challenges. We’ll receive all our belongings and furniture from Canada not knowing where to put anything; renovate a 2BR apartment we've hardly seen- scrub, empty, repair, learn to lay new wood floors and finish them in 3 days (ha-ha!); rebuild a kitchen from scratch and redesign all rooms' decor according to our hearts, tastes, dreams and shrinking wallets. And fulfil bureaucratic procedures that at first overwhelmed us but increasingly made sense; and start our first of 2 language semesters at university where we'll be the oldest students, we bet. I've got a language test next week so Jam-Jam's request to prove if my liking BA merited my letting it shape my next move IHO put me off. Maybe if he'd said something about himself or expressed a touch of warmth.........? How's one supposed to respond to basically "how could anyone think that blah-blah is like blah-blah?" after you've said that's how it is for you? Thanks for picking up on that! The challenges I'm about to face will feel easier on account of your understanding. . [/font]

[font=Arial']A city just grabs you, or grows on you or doesn't or you hate it. What each person likes is the result of his 2-way interaction with it. Something that pleased you previously may not now. [/font]

[font=Arial']My "Buenos Aires of the North" would be anywhere in Europe. I never meant my twisting of that steamer ad to relate to Paris whose beauty and art set a standard a century and more ago and although Paris is still drop-dead gorgeous. Instead, I was saying that Buenos Aires set a new standard of its own by which I can see how I feel about other cities, how THEY might suit my current needs and dreams in comparison with what delights me and makes me feel good in BA. [/font]

[font=Arial']I think those of you who said BA is more 'alive' hit the nail on the head! That is the difference between the parts of Europe I know and BA. My husband and I lived in Europe a long time ago for 13 years and again a decade ago. We discovered BA after all that and over 5 years we spent our travel funds only there for a period of 6 months altogether. We do so much there. We're very happy to have chosen a new city that suits us on the basis of what we loved in BA. But no doubt when we return to BA on holiday next year, we'll head to a bar before sunset, then the usual late night dinner-yeah!, then a drink before turn[/font][font=Arial']ing up late at a milonga and then talk to the cabby on the way home about whatever. Europe doesn't have that zing. BA spoiled us. But maybe we'll check out Berlin while it's still hot if we can find the money.We’ve never been there. [/font]

The comparison between Buenos Aires and Paris is one that I have heard since the day I first entertained the idea of moving to South America. I can't say I have an opinion because I have never been to Paris. Everything that I know about the city leads me to believe it is one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

When I talk about comparing BsAs with other cities, however, my Porteño friends always bring up one city more than the any other, Santiago, Chile. It is a comparison that I find especially interesting because I studied abroad in Santiago 3 years ago. Both cities are rapidly developing and it seems like there's a friendly rivalry between these two, especially because of how close they are to one another geographically and the history between Argentina and Chile.

Do other expats here this conversation frequently as well? I feel it is a discussion that will not be going away any time soon.

The comparison between Buenos Aires and Paris is one that I have heard since the day I first entertained the idea of moving to South America. I can't say I have an opinion because I have never been to Paris. Everything that I know about the city leads me to believe it is one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

When I talk about comparing BsAs with other cities, however, my Porteño friends always bring up one city more than the any other, Santiago, Chile. It is a comparison that I find especially interesting because I studied abroad in Santiago 3 years ago. Both cities are rapidly developing and it seems like there's a friendly rivalry between these two, especially because of how close they are to one another geographically and the history between Argentina and Chile.

Do other expats here this conversation frequently as well? I feel it is a discussion that will not be going away any time soon.
That is certainly an interesting comparison, but hopefully not bait for another uninteresting bashing contest between Argentines and Chileans like I have seen here before in one thread or another.

I'm bringing up that point because everytime I tried to make even the smallest reference to Chile, my Argentine friends and acquantances (or, frankly, even the most random people I met just once) have been univocally negative about their neighbour and more importantly, pretty much void of any substantial knowledge about the country. I have never heard anyone comparing Buenos Aires to Santiago. I have certainly had some interesting conversations about places like Brazil, but Chile seems to be a no-go.

I'd say Santiago de Chile is a rapidly developing city, Buenos Aires not so much. However, while I think Chile is an incredibly beautiful country, I absolutely dislike its capital and also when talking about tourism, my fairly unbalanced opinion and I greatly favour Buenos Aires. I have been there a couple of times because I wanted to travel to various parts of Chile, and there are certainly a few interesting sights (such as the national history museum and the casa rosadade moneda, sorry) but I have seldom seen such an incredibly boring and monotonous destination as Santiago.

Its many problems and negative developments aside, I do not think one can compare the cultural magnitude of Buenos Aires with whatever other place in the Southern Cone.

Back