Good News For Anyone Receiving International Packages!

Come on!
As far as most Argentines are concerned, it's either imported or it's 'lo que hay'.
It's been like this since the year dot, culturally ingrained, embedded in their DNA and it ain't likely to change in the near future, sadly.
Not long ago my brother in law saw the trainers I was wearing (as if i could give a f*ck about my trainers) and asked 'Are they imported?'.
Grown man too.
Ffs!

gpop:
I totally agree with everything you said so there is no sense in my repeating it with other words.
Import substitution started with John Sunday and little Evie and except for a few well known products it's been an ongoing "rip off " ever since
Hopefully,Argentines will learn how to "quality shop" soon and boycot stores that sell obvious junk.Consumer consciece building is another chore for Macri's gov't
"Walk on by,don't buy" if it's cheaply made.

I feel that in 2 years from now - we will have a amazon argentina store in Argentina.

I wish!
On Friday I completed another gaming PC build with pretty modest specs and the total cost of the components was around US$1000, whereas identical components could be bought from Amazon at around US$550.
When I opened the shop in 2009, prices were pretty much on a par oddly enough and yes, I know we face a very different situation today.

No No no what about all the poor retailers who won't be able to charge ridiculous prices for low quality products !!

Sunday on a TV proram the head of a Chamber of Commerce compained about the unfair competition from aliBaba.com
Mentioned that a boy ordered a skateboard delivered to his doorsteps for a quarter of the local price,,,,!!!

Learning and applying Consumer Awareness techniques can be a lengthy process in Argentina
Like competition in Somewhereinba and Rich Ones's posts above.
Also,the National Council for Consumer Defense just announced today 3/14/'16 that a boycot is a valid technique in this regard
A little slow on the uptake,are we?
Where is Lita de Lazzari when we really need her? Remember? "Camine,señora,camine--Keep on walking,madam,keep walking". Obviously,looking for best quality and price.

Is it already safe to have a card shipped here? Like in a credit /debit card? My mail service usually re-ship my mail in bulk using a large envelope, and last time it was held in custom. They found only paper (checks, mails) but I still had to pay a small fee and waste invest half a day in Retiro for collection.

My problem was that the Dutch post would not send a bank card, did not matter if insured etc. So I asked my friend to buy a $5 wedding card that comes with a battery and some electronics; one of those that sings an annoying song when you fold it open. I asked her to slice it open, stuff the bank card inside next to the electronics, tape it shut again and post it as regular mail.
Arrived without any checks, customs or other problems. Your mileage may vary.

Is there an update from anyone about receiving packages from abroad? I'd love to get mum to post some tea!
Also, any suggestions of where is now best to change pesos to dollars?
thanks in advance

Back