Good places to live?

GarrettB

Registered
Hey Everyone,

I am a 27 year old guy hoping to move to BA in March. I have been looking at different areas within BA to live in. Some names have come up more frequently (online) than others, but I would definitely like some insider advice.
As I will be new to the city, I would be looking for somewhere quite cosmopolitan, with lots of different restaurants, coffee shops, pubs, and shops (a gym would be great, too). Good transport would be great as well. It'd also be good to have a place where there is a reasonable number of expats (my Spanish is alright, but it'd probably be easier to make some English Speaking friends initially, just so my Spanish can get up to speed). A park or two would also be great.

I know am asking 'how long is a piece of string?' but seeing as about a million other people have done the same thing before, hopefully someone can give me an answer.

I appreciate any feedback - so thanks in advance.

Hi GarrettB,

I recomend the area below it have all you are asking for.

Not too crowded, many restaurants, close to shopping centers and all shops, delicatessen, kiosk, supermarkets, etc. all of them at walking distance 2, 3 or five blocks maximum.

All buses to and from the heart of the city and also not far away is the "subte" (subway-metro-tube)

Plenty parks and lakes around to jog or simple walk, I know the area well.

lascanitasfk7.jpg

Links to Google maps check it out.

Las Cañitas-Google map streets view

Las Cañitas-Google map satellite view

Cheers.

I agree with Lucas, based on the brief amount of time I have lived in BAires (although I will be here for the next 3 years). I live in Palermo, a few blocks from the area circled on the map, and have already visited bars, cafes, and restaurants there. It is pleasant in the evening, and looks like Times Square later in the night. A couple of days ago I took the Subte from the Palermo station to the end of the line at Catedral, and it took about ten-fifteen minutes to reach the heart of the city. From there walked a few blocks into San Telmo to check out the market. Then walked to Puerto Madero for lunch and looking at boats. All this was easy and fast. The entire city (outside the villas) is easily and quickly accessible, so you can live anywhere and easily get anywhere else.

Although I am a lot older than you, and we might have different definitions of the word "cosmopolitan." My Bohemian Days are well in the past, and I am not much interested in an excess of challenges just getting through the day. Maybe if I was 25 and a bar cruiser and night owl, I'd go to San Telmo.

But from what little I know in this short time, the vast reaches of the various areas of Palermo are a perfect fit. I live in a quieter part, but it can get pretty interesting for younger people in Viejo or Hollywood.

BAires is a fine city; I am happy to have the chance to live here for a while.

Hello neighbors. I hope you guys give me a call at my e-bijoue ( accessories and girl's trinket shop) to chat or grab something to eat one of these days. I'm so happy to know I have such great group of neighbors (I am in Soldado). I've been living and working (and playing) in this neck of the woods for several years now.

Lee, have I met you somewhere?

Grazie of gracee-creations.com

Wow, thanks for the quicks responses. That's pretty much what I was looking for. I had heard about Las Canitas and San Telmo, and that's the feedback I was hoping for.
I lived in Korea for three years and had mixed feelings about it. Most of the comments I read about BA seem to be very positive - the culture seems more vibrant and appealing. Looking forward to taking it all in.

Thanks again guys.

This (so far) has been one of the best threads in the past two years (no nasties). Las Canitas is great. So is Palermo Soho and Palermo Hollywood, and Recoleta. Stay close to Linea D of the subte (subway) and you'll be fine.

Another option, which is becoming more and more popular is Belgrano. It's 4 - 5 subte stops from Palermo on the Línea D beginning with Estación Olleros, then Estación José Hernández and Estación Juramento. There is a really nice park / plaza a block from the Juramento station and few blocks from that is Buenos Aires "Chinatown" if you are into that scene. A lot of nice shops, restaurants and tons of transportation in the area as well. The apartments also cost about 25% less than in Palermo and Recoleta. Where I live in Villa Urquiza, which is about 10 mins outside of Belgrano, I couldn't believe I heard people speaking English on the main shopping street, Avenida Triunvirato. I specifically moved here to be AWAY from the extranjero and tourist scene and now there are native English speakers in my neighborhood. Nothing against anybody, but I am originally from New York City and lived for 36 years in the USA and have been here 2 years and can't imagine ever living anywhere else. ¡Que Viva Argentina!

Davidglen77 said:
A. I specifically moved here to be AWAY from the extranjero and tourist scene and now there are native English speakers in my neighborhood
Things don't always work out as we plan, but didn't you previously post (as a real estate salesperson) that your neighborhood/barrio was a great place to invest and live?

You can't have it both ways.

Davidglen77 said:
I specifically moved here to be AWAY from the extranjero and tourist scene and now there are native English speakers in my neighborhood. Nothing against anybody, but I am originally from New York City and lived for 36 years in the USA and have been here 2 years and can't imagine ever living anywhere else. ¡Que Viva Argentina!

Things don't always work out as we plan, but didn't you previously post (as a real estate salesperson) that your neighborhood (Villa Urquiza) was a great place to invest and live?

You can't have it both ways and still have the right to complain.

Back