Good Stuff From Jumbo

Redpossum

Registered
jumbo_01_zps0fee72c6.jpg

OK, from the left -

Good hot sauce. very reminiscent of Trader Joe's house brand jalapeño sauce. Healthy ingredients list, the only item I find at all objectionable is xanthan gum, and that's not really unhealthy, just unnecessary. Contains, vinegar, peppers, water, garlic, salt, and goma xantana. The peppers are caspsicum frutescens. At Jumbo Almagro, in the back of the store there are two adjacent aisles of coolers full of fresh meat. Where the backs of the two rows of coolers come together, there's stuff stacked all along there. I found these bottles of hot sauce among that stuff, but I've never seen it actually on the shelves.

The wine is a French-style Pinot Grigio, but made here in Argentina. It's less than 30 pesos a bottle. It's a decent white wine, and downright good compared to any other local white I've tasted so far. I do admit it has a bit more fruit than I really care for, but I was raised on bone-dry Chardonnay. And this is Argentina, let's just be glad it's not laced with dulce de leche.

Pickles mixtos en vinaigre de alcohol is the closest thing to gardiniera I've found yet, and fairly cheap. Again, it's a touch more sweet than I really care for, but see comment above. Great with sandwiches or cheese and crackers. Or just a glass of wine...or beer...but not Fernet, please, for the love of GOD.

Apart from these stuff, or any other imported stuff that you commonly find in Jumbo to alleviate homesickness, I dont understand why you guys still go to Jumbo, which is INSANELY expensive -like 35% more than others, like Dia.

Apart from these stuff, or any other imported stuff that you commonly find in Jumbo to alleviate homesickness, I dont understand why you guys still go to Jumbo, which is INSANELY expensive -like 35% more than others, like Dia.

I tend to skip dia because they are terribly understaffed and i really can't be arsed waiting in a half hour long queue, Coto, Disco, Jumbo and Carefoure can be just as bad but not quite as bad.

Wish they would open more tills up when they are getting swamped with people. My local Coto and Carefoure have tills that have never been used, whilst the ones they do use have broken conveyor belts and are in generally shit condition.

Its a sad state of affairs when you wish there was a Tesco, Asda or Scotmid nearby!

I had a conveyor belt at Coto today on French that actually worked. I was like a kid in a candy store. so happy (Doesn't take much)

Sadly, the supermarkets here are total rubbish, both in choice and in service.
Dia and Coto are abysmal and they all shine the light for total and utter mediocrity in every respect...

I agree, the supermarkets here are pitiful compared to those in the US. Here you have to devise your own methodology for shopping. Día is great for cleaning products (can't beat the prices) for bleach, napkins, paper towels, etc. Coto I find has an okay selection of canned fish (within the limited selection that you find here) of sardines, caballa (horse mackerel) and tuna. If you sign up for COTO's "Communidad" there are days where you get up to 40% off the 2nd unit of many products. Big savings. COTO also always has bananas at the best price (around 12,00 / kilo these days) and they rotate a lot so you can get ones that are not all rotten, and pick them yourself. Also meat / chicken is fairly good quality and on discount days the savings are also pretty good. I never go to Jumbo or Disco or Carrefour. Fruit and Vegetables I go to the big self service ones here in Congreso / Balvanera, best prices and selection for everything.

Back