Google on their way to South America....

esllou

Registered
...but not here!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19518307

Search giant Google has decided to base its first Latin American data centre in Chile, near the capital Santiago.

Google said it chose Chile because of its reliable infrastructure and skilled workforce.

The country has been trying to become a tech hub, with initiatives such as Start-Up Chile attracting entrepreneurs from around the world.

"Chile… fosters an atmosphere of innovation, and in recent years has developed cutting edge policies and programs that encourage the growth of the internet," Google said.

esllou said:

Ehhhhh major fail! Did you even ...google.... this before you posted. Google have had an office here for quite a while...

http://www.google.com/about/jobs/locations/buenos-aires/

Chile is far more competative for start-ups and big companies alike tho. I'm sure Google put out a press release and the BBC copy and pasted it. These days with the level of journalism - or more so the number of paid journalist often releases are simply picked up and a few words edited to fit a paper style and then put to print. More so on websites.

First data centre not first office in South America.

Google has offices in BsAs, Belo Horizante, Sao Paulo, Mexico City. The article is about Google starting up a data center in Santiago, its first in LatAm. It's obvious that there's a difference between an office and a full-fledged data center, and the BBC article is referencing the latter only.

hopefully when they finally build that south american internet loop we will be able to benefit from this.

JoeGillis said:
Google has offices in BsAs, Belo Horizante, Sao Paulo, Mexico City. The article is about Google starting up a data center in Santiago, its first in LatAm. It's obvious that there's a difference between an office and a full-fledged data center, and the BBC article is referencing the latter only.

I'd imagine an office has more jobs and creates more revenue for the host country so prob Argentina's doing better form having the office here, although I can't find the specific function of their office. I would image it's the South America HQ?

The title is 'Google on their way to South America....' which to me would imply they haven't been here/ are not already here which is incorrect as they're already in 2 countries in SA. Anyway great for Chile and Data Storage!

Panini said:
I'd imagine an office has more jobs and creates more revenue for the host country so prob Argentina's doing better form having the office here, although I can't find the specific function of their office. I would image it's the South America HQ?

The title is 'Google on their way to South America....' which to me would imply they haven't been here/ are not already here which is incorrect as they're already in 2 countries in SA. Anyway great for Chile and Data Storage!

Latam hq is in Sao Paulo. The office here in ba supports sales, business dev., custoner support, marketing and other functions. Google has also maintained a small sales office in Santiago for over a year now.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure Argentine Internet users will benefit majorly from a data center in Chile.

I have Fibertel broadband Internet. At the time I was setting it up, I read about their delivering on advertised speeds only within Argentina; outside the country, download speeds are 2.5 Mbps at best. I ran speed tests using both servers in Argentina as well as a host of other countries and this turned out to be true: as close as Montevideo, speeds were sometimes slower than to the US. The exception was Chile, which had blazing fast service, on par with Argentina.

So it'd seem that we stand to gain big-time from a Chilean data server.

camberiu said:
Latam hq is in Sao Paulo. The office here in ba supports sales, business dev., custoner support, marketing and other functions. Google has also maintained a small sales office in Santiago for over a year now.

There was a big Google launch party at Opera Bay in ~March or April of 2007 (I believe) to celebrate Buenos Aires becoming the South American headquarters... but I don't think that that lasted too long. SP crushes BA 8 days a week and the government is much more stable as well.

But Chile's stability puts both countries to shame, so establishing the data center there makes perfect sense.

ben said:
FWIW, I'm pretty sure Argentine Internet users will benefit majorly from a data center in Chile.

I dont think it will make one bit of difference, as all argentine internet traffic to the outside world goes via brazil. If you want to view a chilean website the traffic goes to brazil, then the states (miami or NY) and then back down to chile - do a traceroute if you dont believe me.

I would think anyone who has anything to do with the internet wouldnt be using arg as a base, and compared to here, chile's internet is alot better, even colombias is alot faster and more reliable than here.

I had thought of putting in a couple of mail relay/backup servers here, but the connection to the outside world is to slow and not reliable.

Back