Govt. opening safety deposit boxes.

arlean said:
I have had Argentines tell me their parents' safe deposit boxes were opened during the crisis and gold and dollars replaced with the devalued peso. Other Argentines will argue with me and tell me that never happened. I worked for a corporation once and know what I learned there? Almost all rumors had a basis. So for my part I don't discount rumors. Maybe there is no truth, but I have discounted them before to my regret. These days I listen up.
that is 100% crap.

Okay I know this government is bent on taking control of people's lives but we all need to calm the hell down and stay away from idiotic rumors that have no basis in reality (as of yet). Life in Argentina is hard enough without all this BS flying around.

Are you Argentine, mulderfox, and were you here during the crisis? Just curious. The first person who told me that is an Argentine engineer who seems intelligent to me and warned me about putting anything in a safe box in a bank here. I've had some people say (although a lot more politely than you) pretty much what you said, but others verified the engineer. Care to tell us more and your reasons for your opinion? I gave you mine!

Added to which, if this was true, the next casserole party would make the last one appear like tea at five with the in laws.

Thing is, rumors have a way of sounding like facts in Argentina. So far the only evidence presented to prove that the government is opening safety deposit box is that they've bought scanners...

Gringoboy said:
Is it seriously being suggested that persons other than the rightful owner/title holder of said
deposit boxes will have them opened/ransacked behind their backs?
Are you serious?

The rumor has come up in the past (during the 2001 crisis for example). I for one have absolutely no concrete evidence that something like this is being contemplated. Current law does not allow it. On the other hand, this judicial system doesn't exactly instill confidence. So it doesn't strike me as inconceivable that the AFIP might start trying to "control" (which is not the same as opening and ransacking) the contents of the boxes.

With all due kindness, I wish you guys that don't like what some of us post--and read--would just go read something else. It's a big web site. Unless it's the admin, in which case that makes a difference to me. But otherwise, I want to know the facts. If there is an Argentine (or otherwise) here who lived through it and has something concrete, we should be willing to hear it so we can evaluate all evidence.

The engineer who warned me is not some goofball! It may not have been widespread but I believe him. He told me he didn't know what to do about money and I said buy gold. He told me there was nowhere safe to store it. I said what about the bank? He told me that his mother lost $30,000 out of her bank box during the crisis, they had taken out gold and dollars--but they did replace it with pesos. If it is true, then we need to know it so that we can mitigate against that risk and avoid doing stupid things! It isn't scary knowing. The scary thing is NOT knowing and doing stupid things.

Even in the US, during the depression, if you had gold in your safe box, you lost it. People could not open their boxes without an IRS agent present and they took the gold and paid you for it in dollars, then as soon as that was done they devalued the dollars by raising the price of gold. It is estimated they got less than 10% of the gold in the country because most people would not keep it in the banks. And this is NOT a load of crap. It is documentable history! Govenments do crazy things when they are desperate. But there are things we can do if we understand the situation early enough.

Fair points....
The judicial system isn't for starters................
And yes, nothing that afip does or will do would surprise me in the slightest.

Arlean,

I am not questioning whether it happened before or not. I am questioning whether it is happening right now. The title of the thread is "Govt. opening safety deposit boxes." That statement sounds like it is already happening. It is designed to add to the climate of fear already present here.

I am sure the engineer you spoke with about 2001 was speaking the truth, I don't know him/her and I don't know whether he/she is credible. I have no reason to question what he/she said either.

What I am saying and doubting is that the government is already doing this, right now, in 2012. Not saying they can't do it. Just saying that there's no proof whatsoever that this is happening right now.

nicoenarg said:
The title of the thread is "Govt. opening safety deposit boxes." That statement sounds like it is already happening. It is designed to add to the climate of fear already present here.

You're right. It does give that impression. And it's not helpful. A better title would've been, "Safety deposit boxes... Anyone concerned?"

Back