Govt. opening safety deposit boxes.

Okay, y'all, I went back and looked at the first post, trying to figure out where I went wrong. Did I forget how to read???.

Here is the opening of the post: There have been a lot of rumor going around about the government eventually opening up the safety deposit boxes at the banks and now they're offering insurance up to $50,000 US per box.

Does that sound like it is present tense to anyone else? Then it goes on to say that maybe we might want to remove the contents NOW.

Sorry. I really try to behave myself but I can't see the problem. One more comment. This person heard something they thought important for us and is trying to give us a heads up in case it is true. Whether true or not remains to be seen but I for one say thank you!

arlean said:
Okay, y'all, I went back and looked at the first post, trying to figure out where I went wrong. Here is the first post--that I read--as far as I can tell:

There have been a lot of rumor going around about the government eventually opening up the safety deposit boxes at the banks and now they're offering insurance up to $50,000 US per box.

Doesn't that sound like future to you guys? It sure did to me. Just for fun, go back and read the entire post. It continues in that vein. It is not present tense. It goes on to say people might want to take the contents out NOW.

Hm. You're right. The title was a poor choice of words then. Would love to see some solid proof in the general direction though. Buying of scanners that people think might be used to scan safety deposit boxes is like claiming someone is about to murder someone because they recently bought a kitchen knife.

EDIT: Just so I'm clear, I am not discounting that it could happen. I am just discounting the only thing provided as proof. I personally made sure to have enough safeguards in place for my wife and I before we even moved here, in case things go to hell and we need to leave. So I understand the paranoia. I just think if something fishy's about to happen, we'd see some evidence along those lines.

nlaruccia said:
Suppose you had $10,000 or $20,000 US. Not enough to buy an apartment....not nearly enough, but enough to buy a car. The value of the car goes down once you take it off the lot so that won't work. Then there are investments in fideicomisos, construccion developments which have extremely good return but are also risky. What options are left us expats?

Parking spots.

But for better neighbourhoods you will need more like 25k+

The return on a parking spot can actually be better than on an apartment, depending on where you buy.

nicoenarg said:
Buying of scanners that people think might be used to scan safety deposit boxes is like claiming someone is about to murder someone because they recently bought a kitchen knife.

I agree with the gist of this, so I'm not trying to pick a fight. But what about this: "Buying of scanners that people think might be used to scan safety deposit boxes is like claiming someone serving a life sentence in a maximum security prison is about to murder someone because they recently bought a kitchen knife."

BienTeVeo said:
I agree with the gist of this, so I'm not trying to pick a fight. But what about this: "Buying of scanners that people think might be used to scan safety deposit boxes is like claiming someone serving a life sentence in a maximum security prison is about to murder someone because they recently bought a kitchen knife."

Sure. That is plausible too. Seeing that Argentine governments in the past have taken similar measures (not necessarily opening up safety deposit boxes but trampling on people's right and property), it is not too much of a stretch that they might go for such a measure. Especially since they have been whining about people keeping their savings "under their mattresses".

I think we think differently about these things. I like seeing actual evidence before I act. I realize that that could make me a sitting duck a lot of the times but I have survived so far without a scratch.

Someone asked for sources and Solerboy graciously gave us a source. If you are interested you can see the link on his post. Wonder if anyone checked it. I did and I appreciated it! Here is part of the article. This may be the reason the banker put together what he saw at the port. Maybe he read the news and saw the scanners at the port and his logic kicked in. Maybe it isn't so ridiculous? Here is the quote from Solerboy's article:

Another non financial weekly from Buenos Aires published that AFIP has purchased overseas 1.000 scanners which allegedly will be used to check the contents of private coffers in the banking system. There are half a million private coffers in banks belonging to Argentines who distrustful of their government’s policies have deposited jewels, metals and other values, allegedly undeclared for tax purposes.

arlean said:
Someone asked for sources and Solerboy graciously gave us a source. If you are interested you can see the link on his post. Wonder if anyone checked it. I did and I appreciated it! Here is part of the article. This may be the reason the banker put together what he saw at the port. Maybe he read the news and saw the scanners at the port and his logic kicked in. Maybe it isn't so ridiculous? Here is the quote from Solerboy's article:

Another non financial weekly from Buenos Aires published that AFIP has purchased overseas 1.000 scanners which allegedly will be used to check the contents of private coffers in the banking system. There are half a million private coffers in banks belonging to Argentines who distrustful of their government’s policies have deposited jewels, metals and other values, allegedly undeclared for tax purposes.

Thanks Arlean. I did read it. And that is why I am still asking for a credible source. "Another non financial weekly from Buenos Aires...1000 scanner which ALLEGEDLY will be used..." does not count as credible to me.

EDIT: By the way, people can do whatever they want with their money. I am actually interested in knowing if there is any real credible evidence to support this allegation. Because if there is such evidence, then my wife and I and my parents in law need to take some action, pronto! But without any evidence, the exercise seems like a waste of time.

nicoenarg said:
I like seeing actual evidence before I act.

Always wise.

To be clear, I haven't removed anything from a caja de seguridad. I've never had one here. My first post on this thread was simply in response to the OPs question about where to stash one's cash. If I had a safety deposit box, I wouldn't be rushing to the bank right now to empty it. But I would be paying very close attention to what the government does - especially when it comes to judicial appointments.

nicoenarg said:
Okay I know this government is bent on taking control of people's lives but we all need to calm the hell down and stay away from idiotic rumors that have no basis in reality (as of yet). Life in Argentina is hard enough without all this BS flying around.

I know that there are rumor flying around all the time. Perhaps the title "Govt. opening safety deposit boxes" should have said "Govt. might open safety deposit boxes", but the title is the least of our problems.

I'm not one to believe in rumors nor spread them. However, the friend that told me this happens to work in a bank and works closely with the government and even she won't open a safety deposit box. I honestly don't believe that by saying that her sister's boss was the vice president of Banco Macro (and resigned due to apprehension and disagreement with the governments sneaky maneuvers and witnessing and over abundance of scanners in the port) her intention is to spread a rumor or use scare tactics. I think she honestly believes something is up. People aren't taking their money to Uruguay and buying up all the real estate in Miami and NYC for nothing.

Back