Grocery Stores in the USA

I like most Argentines are sick and f....... tired of hearing the moaning expats complaining obout our food . GET OVER IT OR MOVE OUT SIMPLE. The USA and its people are the most obsessed about food and more food . No wonder you are the most OBESE race on earth.

We like our tasteless pizzas, crappy vegetables, boring pastas and non spicy foods. GET IT........................................

Your description sounds like heaven on Earth Napoleon. I heart Whole Paycheck, and of the course the meat is more expensive, it's Whole Paycheck.
When I buy meat in the states I buy from a reputable butcher, usually the one that supplies gourmet restaurants in my city. They always very good, organically fed beef and many other organic meats, all local and at very fair prices.
If you get your meats from a butcher, your whole grain fresh breads from the local bakery and your vegetables from the farmer's market you can just the rest of your stuff at Whole Paycheck and then it will only be a part of your paycheck.
Kiss America for me...

cabrera said:
I like most Argentines are sick and f....... tired of hearing the moaning expats complaining obout our food . GET OVER IT OR MOVE OUT SIMPLE. The USA and its people are the most obsessed about food and more food . No wonder you are the most OBESE race on earth.

We like our tasteless pizzas, crappy vegetables, boring pastas and non spicy foods. GET IT........................................

Cabrera you're on an expats board. Maybe you should leave if you're sick and tired.....I'm just saying.

SaraSara said:
Here I must come clean and confess I'm a typical Arg. and don't like spicy food - never did. It must be an acquired taste.

Food doesn't have to be spicy in order to not be bland, and spicy food is not necessarily flavorful. If done badly it's just spicy.

LAtoBA said:
Cabrera you're on an expats board. Maybe you should leave if you're sick and tired.....I'm just saying.

How do you know my life LA ? . I am also a expat who happen to be born in Argentina and am entitled to my opinion about our national food . Do you know how many Argentines read this site and are dismayed that their food and culture is treated with contempt by outsiders with no knowledge or our history or our likes. Can you imagine if I went to Los Angeles and said the comments that I have heard here . I doubt if the USA people would take too kindly too outsiders shitting on their culture .

It is true that there is a larger variety in US supermarkets, but in general fruit and vegetables out of season are tasteless ( very eye catching tough ). There is a great variety of seafood, vegetables and fruits here too, the difference is that it is being exported, so you cannot find it if yo are living here ( this is really a shame ). I do not think food here is bland, maybe Americans have a stronger eat out, take away and delivery culture, as the majority do not cook at home. I believe Argentines cook a lot more than milanesas and steaks at home, but unless you have local friends or relatives you will not experience that. On the other hand, with the huge crisis the US is going through, I am sure a lot of people had to adjust and moderate what they buy and where they do it, I remember reading somewhere that after the big crash last year, one of the companies that increased sales the most was McD, so make your own conclusions.

cabrera said:
How do you know my life LA ? . I am also a expat who happen to be born in Argentina and am entitled to my opinion about our national food . Do you know how many Argentines read this site and are dismayed that their food and culture is treated with contempt by outsiders with no knowledge or our history or our likes. Can you imagine if I went to Los Angeles and said the comments that I have heard here . I doubt if the USA people would take too kindly too outsiders shitting on their culture .

Please, get a thicker skin. It's food. East coast people trash my city all the time. I had to listen to it for nearly 6 years. It doesn't bother me because I don't expect everyone to love LA.

My point was this is an expats board, where most of the people are folks born outside of Argentina. They're going to vent. That's natural. Argentines do it in the US. Saying there is no food variety in BA is not shitting on the culture. That's the reality. For example, there is a shit load of traffic in LA that makes driving a pain in the ass sometimes. That's a fact. Again it's food. Relax.

LAtoBA said:
Please, get a thicker skin. It's food. East coast people trash my city all the time. I had to listen to it for nearly 6 years. It doesn't bother me because I don't expect everyone to love LA.

My point was this is an expats board, where most of the people are folks born outside of Argentina. They're going to vent. That's natural. Argentines do it in the US. Saying there is no food variety in BA is not shitting on the culture. That's the reality. For example, there is a shit load of traffic in LA that makes driving a pain in the ass sometimes. That's a fact. Again it's food. Relax.

Well Relax and eat our shitty pizza, soggy pasta, non spicy food and enjoy Argentina :rolleyes:

cabrera said:
Well Relax and eat our shitty pizza, soggy pasta, non spicy food and enjoy Argentina :rolleyes:

When I first saw that you had posted to this thread I thought you might say something entertaining, like these stores don't actually exist, that it's just a C.I.A. dis-information plot to demoralize expats and the Argentine people.

As frustrated as I am here with the selection, it has made me a better cook. Instead of going to the market and buying tahini, I just made my own, and because of this, I ended up finding the best recipe for hummous I have ever tried. Not having the ability to buy all these products ready-made has broadened my knowledge. The products here are really fresh and delicious.

For example, I love Moroccan and Algerian food. Absolutely impossible to find anything remotely related ready-made in the markets here. So in order to make harisa, I had to dry out chili peppers for a few days add que se yo y listo. It turned out great.

Yeah of course I get frustrated because almost every meal I make here takes at least 2 hours, but it's fun...for the most part.

Back