Groupon: Daily big discount ( sushi, restaurants, spa, hotels, etc )

Status
Not open for further replies.
pez said:
I also have a few doubts about GroupOn being as successful in Buenos Aires as it is in other cities in the world. But I will still sign up for the discounts

doesn't it have to tip for you to get the deal though? i guess i've just figured most deals wouldn't tip. although maybe in capital they could fairly easily, but that doesn't help me much since i'm in provincia now.

I've used it twice... and i'm so glad i signed up because both services i bought i was going to buy anyway, and received it at nearly 65% off... so i'm very happy!

Has anyone else experienced that they've changed something to where you buy with "DineroMail" or some sort of LatinAmerican PayPal and it asks you for a local credit card?? I couldn't use my card from the States that I had used several times before.

allcraz said:
Has anyone else experienced that they've changed something to where you buy with "DineroMail" or some sort of LatinAmerican PayPal and it asks you for a local credit card?? I couldn't use my card from the States that I had used several times before.

Yep, they recently switched to DineroMail and it only works with local credit cards now. Dumb move in my opinion... I posted a question about it on their Facebook page.

UPDATE: You can create a DineroMail account and then deposit funds into it at a RapiPago. You can then use those funds to pay for the Groupon.

Sleuth said:
Yep, they recently switched to DineroMail and it only works with local credit cards now. Dumb move in my opinion... I posted a question about it on their Facebook page.

UPDATE: You can create a DineroMail account and then deposit funds into it at a RapiPago. You can then use those funds to pay for the Groupon.

Thanks, and that's annoying. I tried my husband's credit card (i.e. nationally-issued card) the other day and it didn't work so I assume you have to create a DineroMail account no matter what. Yes, very bad move on their part.

allcraz said:
Thanks, and that's annoying. I tried my husband's credit card (i.e. nationally-issued card) the other day and it didn't work so I assume you have to create a DineroMail account no matter what. Yes, very bad move on their part.

I had originally been able to use my Galicia debit card, but that no longer works. I was able to use my girlfriend's Standard Bank Visa credit card yesterday though and it worked fine.

Perfect offer for a midweek visa run to Colonia.

TODAY's GROUPON: Colonia Park Plaza Hotel (Colonia, UR)

1 night (or maybe it's two) for two people
2 massages & aromatherapy (& champagne)
breakfast for two
lunch or dinner for two (booze not included)
transfers from and back to the port

Sun-Thurs AR$483 (Weekday)
Thurs-Sun AR$688.50 (Weekend)

http://www.groupon.com.ar/deals/ofe...m_content=Initial_Version&utm_campaign=Varies

Winter visa runs are on the list of depressing things that bring one down about Argentina/Colonia. This seems like a good pick-me-up.

-Nappy B

I know someone who paid for two Groupons, one for a wine tasting and one for a Peruvian dinner. He has called multiple times over several weeks to make the reservation and the restaurant will not answer the phone. He's talked to Groupon about it, but so far nothing has been done. He's not giving up but is understandably frustrated at this point. His next step is to go down to the restaurant in person (assuming it is still open) and ask to speak to someone.

As for the wine tasting, the vinoteca called him two hours before the scheduled tasting to say that the sommelier couldn't come in that day. He asked for a more detailed explanation and got brushed off. The next available wine tasting was more than two weeks away.

So just know that you are paying in advance for something you might not ever get (or might have to jump through hoops to get), not necessarily at the fault of Groupon, but rather the businesses that arrange deals through the web site. Strange, since the businesses don't get their money from Groupon until the coupons are validated. As always in Argentina, your mileage may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back