Has Anyone Ever Brought A Dog From Eze To The States?

Do you have to travel with the dog? Maybe you should try to fly the dog separately if it's a United Airlines issue. We flew our dog from the US TO EZE on Delta and FROM EZE on LAN (through Lima) with no problems at all. Both airlines were awesome and the staff even called down at our stopover to the cargo area to check on her (we could hear her barking over the line so we know they weren't BSing us). She flew as cargo and it cost around $200 US each way. We only had to call the airline with the dimensions of her kennel (dogs must be able to stand and turn around without touching the top or sides) and then get the paperwork from Argentina showing shots and health inspection. It was in 2011, so I know things could have changed. If your dog can fly separately, it might be worth it to change airlines. United is very possibly the worst.

Do you have to travel with the dog? Maybe you should try to fly the dog separately if it's a United Airlines issue. We flew our dog from the US TO EZE on Delta and FROM EZE on LAN (through Lima) with no problems at all. Both airlines were awesome and the staff even called down at our stopover to the cargo area to check on her (we could hear her barking over the line so we know they weren't BSing us). She flew as cargo and it cost around $200 US each way. We only had to call the airline with the dimensions of her kennel (dogs must be able to stand and turn around without touching the top or sides) and then get the paperwork from Argentina showing shots and health inspection. It was in 2011, so I know things could have changed. If your dog can fly separately, it might be worth it to change airlines. United is very possibly the worst.

That is not great news about the kennel size. Our dog sleeps in his kennel and in fact spends a lot of his free time there but it is the same height as he is so I guess we will have to buy a new bigger one which seems such a waste. I wouldn't want him uncomfortable for anything but it is definitely his safe space so it never occurred to me that it would be considered too small for air (we took him in it several times on trains without issue). For the record, we will be flying out of EZE on LAN but only within South America. Maybe we should just pack him up and take him to EZE on a trial run to see if everything is in order well in advance of our travel date.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the kennel size was the one thing they were very rigid about (as well as temperature restrictions based on where you are traveling, particularly if you have specific dog breeds). We ended up buying a used, extra-large kennel on craigslist in order to get our dog accepted onto the airline. Delta balked when they first saw it, but I had an email confirming that I had told them the kennel measurements so they had to accommodate us without further cost. I was most worried about the midnight stopover with LAN in Lima, but they were great. Also, and I don't remember the exact details, but we had to have a water source available to her in the kennel, so we velcroed a splash-proof water dish to the bottom of her kennel. Hope this helps and good luck. We were stressed about it, but everything went smoothly.

Yes --- it is very stressful to think something could go wrong and we get rejected on the day of the flight! Thanks for you input.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the kennel size was the one thing they were very rigid about (as well as temperature restrictions based on where you are traveling, particularly if you have specific dog breeds). We ended up buying a used, extra-large kennel on craigslist in order to get our dog accepted onto the airline. Delta balked when they first saw it, but I had an email confirming that I had told them the kennel measurements so they had to accommodate us without further cost. I was most worried about the midnight stopover with LAN in Lima, but they were great. Also, and I don't remember the exact details, but we had to have a water source available to her in the kennel, so we velcroed a splash-proof water dish to the bottom of her kennel. Hope this helps and good luck. We were stressed about it, but everything went smoothly.

You may want to consider making his current cage larger, if it is otherwise suitable for air travel. I found expansion kits like in the attached picture when I was researching a kennel for my dog. That way he would already be comfortable with it, and paying someone to construct the wood for something like this would probably be a lot cheaper than a new cage. Doesn't look complicated and there have got to be tons of woodworkers who could do it, but if you can't find anyone lemme know, I bet my boyfriend's father would. Check the cage guidelines for your airline (maybe email them and get something in writing as well?) but when I looked over a few last year this would have been allowed. Only works for height though!

Attachments

• kennel_expansion_kits.gif
    kennel_expansion_kits.gif
    79.4 KB · Views: 9
Just on a side note but I did confirm with my friend that he was allowed to fly with his JRT on the plane (under the seat) with no issues from here to Spain last week.

Has anyone ever traveled with a dog to the states? I need to leave in a week with my pup and even though united airlines assured me that it would cost around 500 bucks I am now told that I must use a customs broker which could total close to $2000 usd. I have savings to buy a house and I love my dog like a son so if I must I will shell is out but for god sakes I am getting robbed blind. Does anyone have any advices or experiences to share?

how did your flight go and how is your dog? hope all went well! what did you decide upon traveling with?

Back