Has Argentina Changed You? Better Or Worse ...

GS_Dirtboy

Registered
Being an expat can change a person. I'll start:

For the Better: I have a deeper appreciation for human rights and social justice. For example, I used to think that the homeless sleeping in parks and in doorways should be evicted from public property. Now I think differently. They have a right - and need - to sleep somewhere. If there is a failure it is on the community and government for not having sufficient support.

For the Worse: On trips now to the US I can't help but to realize how easy it would be to make a decent living using simple diversion techniques to steal cell phones, laptops, and purses left on tables and backs of chairs.

GS

It has been long since I have been in the US so my picture of it now is much colored by the news I read or what people say on forums. The good side of that is I have pretty much lost my american centric view of the world.
In many parts of the world I have seen practices that are supportive of the poor/disadvantaged that seem much 'kinder' and better than others. Each culture I have had the pleasure to live among for a while seems to have its own good (and bad) ideas to bring to the table, much like they have their own contributions to the culinary world.

In a perfect world we could perhaps collect up all best and build a perfect country, the problem with that of course is who decides which are the best.

After living in Argentina for nearly 6 years, I am definitely not the same person that I was when I arrived.

Argentina has changed me for the better in the sense that I am a lot less strung-out and more patient when it comes to sweating the small, daily stuff. If someone arrives late, or if something doesn't function, or if transport does not run on time, I am a lot less likely to stress about it. Life is too short.

Argentina has changed me for the worse in the sense that I feel a great deal of heartache when I witness dire poverty on a daily basis. It's jaded me, but it never gets any easier or less shocking to see a family digging through garbage bins. Especially now that I am the mother of a young son, it disturbs me when I see beggar kids, small exploited children on the streets who do not know love, nor where their next meal is coming from, who will most likely to grow up to repeat the cycle with their kids. It upsets me, but sadly, I don't see much changing for the better.

I'm certainly a lot more patient than when I arrived. I appreciate little things a lot more. I have a better sense of community here and spend more time and effort getting to know my neighbors, shopkeepers, etc. I am less caught up in material things. I go with the flow more. I've learned to cook. I've learned to improvise.

For the worse, I've gotten a lot more jaded and cynical about people. I have a sense of futility about many things and don't think they will change/improve so I've stopped trying. I've become more insular. I use a lot more salt ;)

I'm less naive than I used to be. That's both a good and bad thing - I don't trust as easily, but I've also learned to be a little more observant. In the US I lived in a suburban bubble.
I've learned to ease up on the perfectionism... nobody's perfect and life goes on even if your bathroom tiles are misaligned. :p
I'm more patient with family and more cautious with strangers. I too have more of an appreciation for the little things.

I'd say most of the changes in my personality and attitude have been inspired by my husband more than the country itself, but no denying that living here has changed my thinking.

I'm less naive than I used to be. That's both a good and bad thing - I don't trust as easily, but I've also learned to be a little more observant. In the US I lived in a suburban bubble.
I've learned to ease up on the perfectionism... nobody's perfect and life goes on even if your bathroom tiles are misaligned. :p
I'm more patient with family and more cautious with strangers. I too have more of an appreciation for the little things.

I'd say most of the changes in my personality and attitude have been inspired by my husband more than the country itself, but no denying that living here has changed my thinking.

Agreed and I'm too much of a perfectionist as well. I've learned how to deal with it (a bit better).

4448140119_a95d4c494c.jpg

I'm certainly a lot more patient than when I arrived. I appreciate little things a lot more. I have a better sense of community here and spend more time and effort getting to know my neighbors, shopkeepers, etc. I am less caught up in material things. I go with the flow more. I've learned to cook. I've learned to improvise.

For the worse, I've gotten a lot more jaded and cynical about people. I have a sense of futility about many things and don't think they will change/improve so I've stopped trying. I've become more insular. I use a lot more salt ;)

Mine is so similar to yours!

Ditto..citygirl put how I feel perfectly into words. The only good news is that the worst part has reverted now I'm no longer a resident and just a visitor. I'm back to my old innocent naïve etc. I can trust my instincts about people which is something that completely threw me in Bsas.

I have become more romantic, since I arrived here some years ago. don't know if this is better or worse.

Back