Has Argentina Changed You? Better Or Worse ...

In a distant past, I used to be a perfectionistic, slightly hysterical and rather unfriendly, eternally dissatisfied, socially retarded and exclusive armchair philosopher.

Now, I am a desillusioned and cynical creep who likes to bitch on strange forums with other damaged people, but at least I am now alive: I've also adopted a tranqui, Argentine extravagant and open, much more social attitude towards people and life in general. I am sure it sounds like a cliché but I am already glad if I have a few spare coins for a nice cup of coffee and just sit there, smile, and be happy, finally capable of valuing the little things and human contact that many people, that take everything in their lives for granted, are likely to ignore.

I slowly learned to value things that really matter for me, instead of wasting my life the way I used to. I think my character has been changed dramatically by having embraced such a weird country, more than whatever country in the past, and I am eternally grateful for all those lessons I had to learn.

Don't go strictly by the book as I used to -- much more flexible but the downside is that I am willing to bend the rules in ways that would be considered wrong in the US. It's the only way to survive here but I wonder if in the US I'd revert to the traditional American way (please don't be sarcastic. I think there is a big difference between daily interactions between people and foreign policy, corporate greed etc).

As for poverty, etc I have lived and travelled in other places and seen worse poverty but here one comes in contact with serious economic struggle far far more than in the US. The definition of poverty is much different to begin with. "Capitalismo salvage" applies much more to Argentina than it does the US. Seems to me savage to allow people to pick trash, send kids to beg for money, having to sell junk on trains etc. It's really a survival of the fittest society and no matter how much some people here cry about the cruel bad US, the welfare system there is extensive and far more generous than here.

Don't go strictly by the book as I used to -- much more flexible but the downside is that I am willing to bend the rules in ways that would be considered wrong in the US. It's the only way to survive here but I wonder if in the US I'd revert to the traditional American way (please don't be sarcastic. I think there is a big difference between daily interactions between people and foreign policy, corporate greed etc).

As for poverty, etc I have lived and travelled in other places and seen worse poverty but here one comes in contact with serious economic struggle far far more than in the US. The definition of poverty is much different to begin with. "Capitalismo salvage" applies much more to Argentina than it does the US. Seems to me savage to allow people to pick trash, send kids to beg for money, having to sell junk on trains etc. It's really a survival of the fittest society and no matter how much some people here cry about the cruel bad US, the welfare system there is extensive and far more generous than here.

There are plenty of people salvaging aluminum cans and other trash off the streets in the US, and sleeping under freeway overpasses or (in the winter) above steam grates. The difference is that there's not a Mafia "employing" them to do so.

no matter how much some people here cry about the cruel bad US, the welfare system there is extensive and far more generous than here.
(above quote edited for brevity)

/me stares in amazement

You obviously haven't been back to the USA in a long time. I'm flabbergasted at seeing the word "generous" used in this context. There's just no common ground between your comment and reality.

whats so awful about 'allowing people to pick trash'?
Is this not recycle at its most basic?
One place I lived it was standard practice to place items you were throwing away but might be reusable carefully next to the main trash - free enterprise version of good will.

For the better...less stressed about my stuff. It can all be replaced if necessary and nothing material I own is very valuable anyway. I'd only be very sad to have my simple wedding ring stolen.

For the worse...feeling like I always need to be on guard. Being more cynical and suspicious of strangers.

Back