Hate North Americans?

fifilafiloche said:
Remember they are pragmatic by nature. If something doesnt work, they will change, they are survivalists. Their short term try and miss way of acting gives them a lot of flexibility.

Oooh, I like that.

Frankly, I'm still blown away by how dynamic and creative the US is and I think I always will be. While we currently do have some warmongers, religious fundamentalists and greedy dirtbags gumming up the works a bit, our fantastic universities continue to toss out smart, ambitious kids who settle in places like Silicon Valley and create entirely new industries. We value risk-taking and entrepreneurialism and, literally, reach for the stars.

And, yes, "we" did some terrible things during the "American century" and "we" continue to do some pretty dumb shit in this one, but the US is a truly amazing place and it will continue to lead and inspire.

And generalizations about the place tend to be pretty ridiculous. I've written here before about how the city information line, 311, back in my home town, NYC, will take your call in something like 170 languages. And although I've lived on both coasts and traveled around quite a bit, I still don't feel as if I know the US all that well. I actually find Americans who generalize about the US more annoying than others who do (I suppose that's true just about anywhere, though; my girlfriend certainly doesn't appreciate when porteños who have rarely, if ever, left Buenos Aires say incredibly stupid shit about Argentina).

ssr said:
Oooh, I like that.

Frankly, I'm still blown away by how dynamic and creative the US is and I think I always will be. While we currently do have some warmongers, religious fundamentalists and greedy dirtbags gumming up the works a bit, our fantastic universities continue to toss out smart, ambitious kids who settle in places like Silicon Valley and create entirely new industries. We value risk-taking and entrepreneurialism and, literally, reach for the stars.

Reach for the stars? That's funny. How do you reckon you will do that when you're born in a ghetto and can't even pay your electric bill? Let alone any college tuition.
Nazi-Germany had fantastic universities, scientists and companies too. Not sure what that has to do with anything.

ssr said:
And, yes, "we" did some terrible things during the "American century" and "we" continue to do some pretty dumb shit in this one, but the US is a truly amazing place and it will continue to lead and inspire.

How can it continue to lead anything when it's completely bankrupt?

ssr said:
And generalizations about the place tend to be pretty ridiculous. I've written here before about how the city information line, 311, back in my home town, NYC, will take your call in something like 170 languages. And although I've lived on both coasts and traveled around quite a bit, I still don't feel as if I know the US all that well. I actually find Americans who generalize about the US more annoying than others who do (I suppose that's true just about anywhere, though; my girlfriend certainly doesn't appreciate when porteños who have rarely, if ever, left Buenos Aires say incredibly stupid shit about Argentina).

No doubt that all those cultures provide something that you can't find anywhere else. But that has really nothing to do what this thread is about.

orwellian said:
Why not be honest and say that you don't have any arguments?

My argument is that in America, if you work hard you can get ahead and achieve something. Much more so than in any other place in the world.

Can't say that for many places in Europe. You can be proud of Europe, I'm proud of America. Your pride does not out trump mine.

arty said:
My argument is that in America, if you work hard you can get ahead and achieve something. Much more so than in any other place in the world.

The same is true for most countries in Europe.

arty said:
Can't say that for many places in Europe. You can be proud of Europe, I'm proud of America. Your pride does not out trump mine.

I am not proud of being European, if you read my previous posts I clearly state that I am ashamed. Menos mal that the world seem to hate Americans more than they hate Europeans.

arty said:
This thread is over thanks to Godwin.

thanks for playing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

I disagree, if you read the Wikipedia entry it states:

"However, Godwin's Law itself can be abused, as a distraction, diversion or even censorship, that fallaciously miscasts an opponent's argument as hyperbole, especially if the comparisons made by the argument are actually appropriate. A 2005 Reason magazine article argued that Godwin's Law is often misused to ridicule even valid comparisons."

I believe I gave a valid comparison. All I did was show that any country, even Nazi-Germany, can produce what you are producing (in terms of science etc).

And I do agree with Godwin's law, I tend to not make Nazi comparisons.

But you can always use that as an excuse to pull out of the discussion. I mean you have tried other things like "stop feeding the Troll".

orwellian said:
The same is true for most countries in Europe.

Really? Seems that most countries in Europe of xenophobic. Except for France and England which are well on their way to becoming Muslim countries. I have fond memories of the Czechs hating everyone who wasn't Czech.

arty said:
Really? Seems that most countries in Europe of xenophobic. Except for France and England which are well on their way to becoming Muslim countries.

Go sit in the corner with a dunce hat on.

arty said:
Really? Seems that most countries in Europe of xenophobic. Except for France and England which are well on their way to becoming Muslim countries. I have fond memories of the Czechs hating everyone who wasn't Czech.

That had nothing to do with my quote. That quote was an answer to that "anyone could make it if they worked hard enough". And I totally disagree with your statement. I think that was not only a bad generalization, but also totally untrue.

jp said:
Go sit in the corner with a dunce hat on.

I think we should refrain ourselves from these types of comments.

Back