Have Passport, Will Travel

asadofed said:
NO WAY!! there will be no problem to travel abroad.

CFK only wants the dollars bills to stay in Argentina, so she can pay the debts.
that is all.

Argentina Empresarios, are experts at taking dollars away from the Country ilegally.
I know one, that would travel weekly to Montevideo by buquebus (ferry).......only taking dollars. 100k at the time. and he was paid for that.

Some other friends of mine, worked for financieras, they were ALL DAY LONG buying Us dollars at exchange shops.

Now all that was taken away...and restricted.

But they have created problems for the innocent dollar buyers.

This is only a matter of phisical dollar bills. just that.
not a matter of freedom of travel.

Correction it IS a matter of BOTH freedom and travel.

Just taking into account that in order to start a Consulate process you need USD and the government won't allow you to get those since you have no ticket, but you can't get a plane ticket without the due dilligence at the Consulate... I know of at least 2 different cases of an Argentine and a foreigner stuck in this loop.

Oh and then is the money "allowance" they give you... like 60 US$ per day in the US, or whatever it is.

Why is it that CFK has no issues and is "free" to buy 20 LV bags at 5000 USD each and a middle class worker is not allowed but 60 US$ a day in the US or Europe.

It sure damn is an matter of freedom and travel!

I would think if there were a restriction on travel at some point, the reasoning might have to do with keeping people from physically carrying money out of the country - continued capital flight controls.

And as joeteixido mentions, they've already implemented some travel restrictions as it is, no matter the form and intent.

Hahaha, man... what are you smoking?

ElQueso said:
I would think if there were a restriction on travel at some point, the reasoning might have to do with keeping people from physically carrying money out of the country - continued capital flight controls.

And as joeteixido mentions, they've already implemented some travel restrictions as it is, no matter the form and intent.

they would literally have to build a wall around the perimeter ... around one of the largest shorelines in the world...

this board is always good for a laugh.

I think the economic culture and western paranoia combine a lot on this forum.

I do think the passport coralito could happen though. However, I'm the sort of oddball who considers this as a possibility for other countries such as the USA and UK. Always a worry and it takes mostly time or a lot of cash to nullify.

Ha, Good point. I just find it funny that here we find ourselves in a country whose main problem is that there is no control over anything --

e.g. 40% of the population working in negro.....zero controls on immigration..... pretty much every public official is bribable for whatever purpose...

and the govt puts a restriction on buying dollars and all of a sudden people think they're in the soviet union and they're going to have to ask the AFIP's permission to go to the bathroom or get sent to the gulag.

marquitos said:
they would literally have to build a wall around the perimeter ... around one of the largest shorelines in the world...

this board is always good for a laugh.
There is no need to build anything, they don't even need to rip you off your passport. Say an Argentine has family and he/she wants to flee the country today. What would he/she do?

1) Put all his/her valuables for sale... right?
2) Get paid in... TADDA! pesos
3) Then you are screwed because exchanging Pesos anywhere outside Argentina is...
A) Impossible, or...
B) They pay you exactly what the peso is worth... so basically he/she ends up with enough money to get maybe Happy Meal, after years of paying for an apartment, car, taxes, etc

Say you part your car for 40k AR$ and then you sale everything in your rented apartment for 20k AR$.

You got yourself around 12k USD, but you want to go out to say, Uruguay... and exchange it to 7,0... or Paraguay at 7,5 and you actually got 8.500 USD

It is even worst for those who own real state.

But lets say I'm talking about an oligarka with car... he is probably rich. OK... lets say you are alone and you are a student, and you saved for the last year so you can attend this awesome Photography Workshop in NY... and then they tell you you need to survive with 60 US$ a day, including food, transportation, lodging... and you need to pay for the training (this is a real case I know of a guy I was trying to mentor).

Whatcha gonna do huh?. I tell you what, you stay, and buy a new TV with your pesos instead and maybe a cell phone. Why? because if you seat on those savings they loose their value by the day.

DING DING DING, you have just entered the K game... you bought a TV, Cell, Play Station, you took your Girl to Mendoza in Austral or AA... like many many other Argies who are enlarging the numbers on "how well the economy is... that everybody is buying everything"... after all... who gives a flying fart about the future when mama Cristina needs you to expend it all now!... The hell with getting education! Savings??? Who needs savings when the Peso is so stable, you can save 100 pesos today you will probably get a candy with it next year!.

See?... there is no need to build a wall ;)

marquitos said:
zero controls on immigration...

Oh MAN!, I wish I knew about this earlier, because I could have saved in that little mountain of super efficient paperwork that I had to pay in USD and make lines for when I came here.... I wish I knew earlier that all that background crap paperwork they kept asking me was totally and completelly useless!!!

*Tongue firmly pressed against cheek*

My point exactly... try doing that next time without jumping through the hoops... I imagine the result will be pretty similar.

joeteixido said:
Oh MAN!, I wish I knew about this earlier, because I could have saved in that little mountain of super efficient paperwork that I had to pay in USD and make lines for when I came here.... I wish I knew earlier that all that background crap paperwork they kept asking me was totally and completelly useless!!!

*Tongue firmly pressed against cheek*

Back