Have Passport, Will Travel

marquitos said:
and the govt puts a restriction on buying dollars and all of a sudden people think they're in the soviet union and they're going to have to ask the AFIP's permission to go to the bathroom or get sent to the gulag.

Um... have you talked to any Argentines who have tried to travel recently? I have. They were either denied permission to buy dollars or given such a ridiculously low amount they could exchange that it was impossible. Use debit cards abroad? Nope, not going to happen now. Credit Cards? Well, if you want to get the new surcharges. So how are you going to afford that family vacation or trip you've been planning?

Doesn't bother you - you have cash in hand you say. (ETA - dollar that is. Your pesos are worthless outside of Argentina). Well guess what, AFIP has asked the airlines to turn over lists of all the passengers traveling outside of Argentina. So don't be surprised when AFIP wants to know exactly how you got that cash in hand.

Concerning - yes, I think so.

All the less reason for the government to physically block all exits to the country, North Korea style. Don't you think?
Just responding to the rumour of CFK mass-annuling passports and denying permission to leave. Not exactly a probable scenario imho.

citygirl said:
Um... have you talked to any Argentines who have tried to travel recently? I have. They were either denied permission to buy dollars or given such a ridiculously low amount they could exchange that it was impossible. Use debit cards abroad? Nope, not going to happen now. Credit Cards? Well, if you want to get the new surcharges. So how are you going to afford that family vacation or trip you've been planning?

Doesn't bother you - you have cash in hand you say. (ETA - dollar that is. Your pesos are worthless outside of Argentina). Well guess what, AFIP has asked the airlines to turn over lists of all the passengers traveling outside of Argentina. So don't be surprised when AFIP wants to know exactly how you got that cash in hand.

Concerning - yes, I think so.

Back