Have You Experienced Prejudice Or Racism In Argentina?

Even the jews that flew from Germany during WW2? ;)

In fact, what happened is that lots of parents did not agree with the scholar program, which was nazi, so they did take out their sons from that school and open a new one, the Pestalozzi, which still today remain more progressive.
Tradition versus progessive.

How about rudeness towards North American Gringo's?

We had a lady in the middle of the afternoon run thru the store and lock the door right in front of us as we were going in. (we were window shopping at first)
I know I appear to be different but please.....
That would never fly elsewhere.....

I have also been short changed a few times, that I caught! Now I count.......................

Dear Kate

When something like that happens to me i always chuck it on the ''oh they must hate me because i'm beautiful '' pile,please pay no mind to these few individuals as they live a boring and limited life.
As far as being short changed i must say it happens everywhere ,as long as you are aware of it,it won't happen to you again,Some of the kioskeros or the clerks at 7 11 back home flunked basic math long ago so you must tell them how much you are paying and how much they have to give you back ;) on a positive note,i'm glad the kioskeros don't speak Arabic on the phone as they ring up the sale without even acknowledging you :huh:

Kate, its not unlikely that the shopping incident had nothing to do with you not being Argentine or being from the US; a lot of business here run "differently", i.e., don't expect the level of service you are used from other countries. From my experience, the service you get mainly depends on the actual individual in the shop. Some do a great job, others just don't care about customers. The longer you live here, the more of these and similar things you will see - just take it with a smile.
Also not getting the correct change is not super uncommon, but in most circumstances it happens when people try to do the math in their head - and if you look closely, you can actually see how lost they get and then guess a number which seems the right change ;)

Also not getting the correct change is not super uncommon, but in most circumstances it happens when people try to do the math in their head - and if you look closely, you can actually see how lost they get and then guess a number which seems the right change ;)

That happens to me a lot. Since they do what they do, they clearly want to change, but I dont think they always reach their objectives, they get lost in maths and bad calculations, and a lot of times they finish telling you they cant do nothing. So pretty much you stay with your money and have to accept and ask fruitlessly for some kind of change, that you wont get. ;)

When I met her old boss and his wife I found out that they were actually both from Okinawa, which is a kind of Japanese sub culture (They consider themselves a different in some ways to the 'mainlanders' similar to the Catalans and the Spanish.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I don't ever think of my fellow Japanese from Okinawa, kind of _sub culture_ and Iam not the cleansed new gen, educated to be a good world citizen but born in the after WW II..

They may look a bit different from the main landers of Japan but so is the Kyushu people as well. But the Okinawans are a bit lay back and me thinking due to their semi-tropical weather!

But then the Okinawa genre do get privileadged treatment from the J~Guvnmnt in the form of a _very large economic package_Okinawa stimulus of US $ 3.5 billion for their allowing to having the US bases there. And that sum is just the beginning of preludes of good things coming the Okinawa's way...

So your assertion of Okinawa people being sub culture of Japan is wide off the mark. Okinawa is not a sub-culture but part of Japan's history and very main culture..Besides, Okinawa islands are way too pretty and the people are always very happy !

Deep south in the US o A, the white folks are discriminated and the local black fellows callin' the whites tha Honkies ! I asked once to a black fellow as to why callin' the whites, _honkies_ ? The black men saz to me, 'coz they honk like pigs!

New USA law proposed against discriminatory slurs in the football field, racial or homophobic comments will get a 15 yards penalty.... :D

There were some drunken girls on a bus. They were really really drunk... one of them puked. they made a 'Asians have small eyes' face to me, by pulling their eyes towards their ears... Gross! I didn't mean to go near them but they were sitting with a man who knows my friend...

And there was this beggar always on Moreno y Piedras, one Sunday(election day?) I passed him and he shouted 'Chino, chino.....' I could hear him after 2 or 3 blocks...

But apart from these 2 incidents, I feel people here are amiable, considerate and polite.

But on the other hand, as a Chinese, I would say we Chinese are mostly racists and are not afraid to let it show.
An Indian business associate was arrested in the middle of the night and we quickly jumped to the conclusion that he was held for paying for prostitutes. It turned out he was a technology spy...
It is not common now in 1st-tier cities now but in 3rd or 4th tier cities, people would point to a foreigner and say to their friends: ' Look, a Lao Wai'...

When I met her old boss and his wife I found out that they were actually both from Okinawa, which is a kind of Japanese sub culture (They consider themselves a different in some ways to the 'mainlanders' similar to the Catalans and the Spanish.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I don't ever think of my fellow Japanese from Okinawa, kind of _sub culture_ and Iam not the cleansed new gen, educated to be a good world citizen but born in the after WW II..

They may look a bit different from the main landers of Japan but so is the Kyushu people as well. But the Okinawans are a bit lay back and me thinking due to their semi-tropical weather!

But then the Okinawa genre do get privileadged treatment from the J~Guvnmnt in the form of a _very large economic package_Okinawa stimulus of US $ 3.5 billion for their allowing to having the US bases there. And that sum is just the beginning of preludes of good things coming the Okinawa's way...

So your assertion of Okinawa people being sub culture of Japan is wide off the mark. Okinawa is not a sub-culture but part of Japan's history and very main culture..Besides, Okinawa islands are way too pretty and the people are always very happy !

Okinawa was not part of Japan.

Back