Having two passports a help wit entering and reentering Argentina

I hold German and Argentine passports and I once entered Argentina (being born there) on the German one because the Argentine one was no longer valid. No problem. I already entered a number of countries on both passports, including Russia, Syria, Switzerland, Brazil, no problem at all. The important thing - as I was told - is to enter and exit the country on the same one.

The interesting thing about the Argentine documents is that they all have the same number...it is your personal number and it remains the same, not matter how many passports you've had. If that was the case (and - before I am accused of praising something Argentine- I am not implying Argentina is being smarter in this case) maybe this number (plus nationality on the passport) could be used to identify the person and there wouldn't be any chance of double names like described in other posts. What's the point in changing the number of the passports?

I've had my passport from the States renewed three times and my number has never changed. I noticed someone mentioning below that the passport numbers change - but is that true? Is that only a UK thing?

I would bet that if I lost my passport and had it replaced that it would still have the same number on it.

Wow. My last renewal was in 2006. I wonder if that's something new because of the changes that the US was making and that's why I didn't see a change? The time before that was 1996...

ElQueso said:
Wow. My last renewal was in 2006. I wonder if that's something new because of the changes that the US was making and that's why I didn't see a change? The time before that was 1996...

It looks like you'll have to wait six years to know for sure.

Passport numbers for the US definitely change. My passport in '07 had a different number from my previous.

I think passport numbers NOW change every time they are renewed, but I think this is a practice which began within the last 5 years. I'm quite certain all my previous passports had the same number but my most recent certainly doesn't.

Possible the US passport numbers started to change when they introduced the new books with embedded electronics a few years ago.

Neil

The data matching facilities now available to customs officials very advanced. Most of the technology is free so for anybody to assume that passport numbers are ignored borders on ignorance.

An interesting twist - My daughter has both australian and argentine citizenship which means that when she enters and leaves argentina it is through her DNI/Argentine passport. When she arrives in Australia she uses her Australian passport. If we were to present her Argentine passport when entering Australia she would be required to present a holiday visa even though she is an Australian citizen. If she presents her Australian passport when entering Argentina she would be charged the 'reciprocity' fee.

Back