Health Insurance prices in Argentina

60 yo for women 65 for men ( roughly as there are exceptions). If you meet the requiremrnts to retire or get Puam pension, you must retire. If you do not meet the requirements you can keep working on your own as self employed ( monotributo ). Retirees and pensioneers get Pami ( similar to Medicare ).
So if you're over 65 it's PAMI? No alternatives? People tell me PAMI is not very good.

So if you're over 65 it's PAMI? No alternatives? People tell me PAMI is not very good.

As far as I know, PAMI is for retired citizens and perhaps retired permanent residents who have paid into the system for many years. It is not something an average expat can sign up for.

It is possible for anyone to access to public system, even without an obra social. That's what I have been doing doing for almost ten years and I very pleased with the results.

I am given priority because of my age and, much to my surprise, also because I don't have an obra social (according to a friend of mine).

It also helps that one of my doctors (a surgeon) has become a friend and got me an appointment for a CAT scan during the height of the plandemic a few days after I sent him a message via WhatsApp.

As far as I know, PAMI is for retired citizens and perhaps retired permanent residents who have paid into the system for many years. It is not something an average expat can sign up for.

It is possible for anyone to access to public system, even without an obra social. That's what I have been doing doing for almost ten years and I very pleased with the results.

I am given priority because of my age and, much to my surprise, also because I don't have an obra social (according to a friend of mine).

It also helps that one of my doctors (a surgeon) has become a friend and got me an appointment for a CAT scan during the height of the plandemic a few days after I sent him a message via WhatsApp.
So you are saying that you use public hospitals and do not have any health care plan?
What is an "average expat"? If someone has a Permanent Resident DNI, why wouldn't he/she be allowed into PAMI? Presumably Permanent Residents with DNIs are paying taxes and are protected under the law.
As far as I know, anyone can go to a public hospital without being charged. Maybe Nikad can clarify.

So you are saying that you use public hospitals and do not have any health care plan?
What is an "average expat"? If someone has a Permanent Resident DNI, why wouldn't he/she be allowed into PAMI? Presumably Permanent Residents with DNIs are paying taxes and are protected under the law.
As far as I know, anyone can go to a public hospital without being charged. Maybe Nikad can clarify.
If you retire or get a pension ( 30 years paid into the system ) you get Pami. If you havebeen a perm resident for 10 years or aquired arg citizenship or residency 20 yrs but have not paid into the system you get Puam pension and Pami. If none of this applies to you,you can either access the public healthcare system, or work and enroll into monotributo as self employed and get obra social or pay for private insurance , that must take you no matter your age but at a premium.

Last edited:
If you retire or get a pension ( 30 years paid into the system ) you get Pami. If you havebeen a perm resident for 10 years or aquired arg citizenship or residency 20 yrs but have not paid into the system you get Puam pension and Pami. If none of this applies to you,you can either access the public healthcare system, or work and enroll into monotributo as self employed and get obra social or pay for private insurance , that must take you no matter your age but at a premium.
When you say 'pay into the system" what do you mean? Make contributions to a pension scheme through an employer or as a Monotributo? And didn't you say that at age 65 you can't pay the Monotributo and get an obra social? Also you are saying that if you have worked for twenty years you can get a Puam pension? What's that?

When you say 'pay into the system" what do you mean? Make contributions to a pension scheme through an employer or as a Monotributo? And didn't you say that at age 65 you can't pay the Monotributo and get an obra social? Also you are saying that if you have worked for twenty years you can get a Puam pension? What's that?
Yes, I refer ti contributions. At age 65 you must retire and get Pami unless you do not meet the requirements. PUAM is pension universal para adultos mayores. If you dont qualify for that either then you can enroll in monotributo past age 65.

Correct
I've had permanent residency for 13 years, but only seven years when I turned 65 and I never worked in Argentina, I have paid a number of taxes (mostly IVA) but I never paid anything toward a PAMI pension.
As far as I know, anyone can go to a public hospital without being charged.
That is what I understand as well.

Yes, I refer ti contributions. At age 65 you must retire and get Pami unless you do not meet the requirements. PUAM is pension universal para adultos mayores. If you dont qualify for that either then you can enroll in monotributo past age 65.
I just searched for the thread about PAMI for permanent residents and was quickly reminded that in order to receive PAMI, a Permanent resident who might be eligible would have to renounce their foreign pension.

PS: It would be interesting to know what what the requisites for PAUM are for permanent residents and how much per month they would receive.

I know two Argentines who are "jubilado" and, if I understand correctly, they recieve about 80K pesos per month, but I am not certain if these are PAMI benefits.

Last edited:
I just searched for the thread about PAMI for permanent residents and was quickly reminded that in order to receive PAMI, a Permanent resident who might be eligible would have to renounce their foreign pension.

PS: It would be interesting to know what what the requisites for PAUM are for permanent residents and how much per month they would receive.

I know two Argentines who are "jubilado" and, if I understand correctly, they recieve about 80K pesos per month, but I am not certain if these are PAMI benefits.
PUAM: https://www.anses.gob.ar/pension-universal-para-el-adulto-mayor-puam >>> says nothing about having a foreign benefit. However this benefit is given to the elderly that do not meet requierements for retiring ( they are considered a vulnerable population ) so if you have another source of income you will not qualify. You could however receive a foreign pension AND retire in Arg and get an Arg pension as well. These two are not incompatible.

Pami: health insurance for retirees. What your friends are receiving is their jubilacion or pension ( which they contributed to while working ).

Bare in mind that in Arg:

Pension = is a sum of money you receive as a special benefit or it may be your deceased spouse's jubilacion.
Jubilacion = equals to US SS ( you contributed 30 years while working )
Pami: Health insurance for retired citizens / perm residents

In any case, if you do not fall into any of the above categories, you are entitled to use the public health system, if you take the time to know how it works, etc it is ok. Especially if you need it for check ups, meds, chronic illnesses, vaccines, etc. It is not fancy but works and it is free.

Last edited:
PUAM: https://www.anses.gob.ar/pension-universal-para-el-adulto-mayor-puam >>> says nothing about having a foreign benefit. However this benefit is given to the elderly that do not meet requierements for retiring ( they are considered a vulnerable population ) so if you have another source of income you will not qualify. You could however receive a foreign pension AND retire in Arg and get an Arg pension as well. These two are not incompatible.

So, if I now understand correctly

"No cobrar ni tener derecho a ninguna jubilación o pensión de un organismo nacional o de cajas o institutos provinciales o municipales, ni seguro de desempleo. Si estás cobrando una jubilación o pensión, debés renunciar a la misma para iniciar el trámite de la Pensión Universal para el Adulto Mayor." applies only to income received in Argentina?

PS: Also in the requisites, those elegible for PAUM must be Argentine or naturalized with ten years of citizenship or 20 years as a permanent resident?

So, if I now understand correctly

"No cobrar ni tener derecho a ninguna jubilación o pensión de un organismo nacional o de cajas o institutos provinciales o municipales, ni seguro de desempleo. Si estás cobrando una jubilación o pensión, debés renunciar a la misma para iniciar el trámite de la Pensión Universal para el Adulto Mayor." applies only to income received in Argentina?

PS: Also in the requisites, those elegible for PAUM must be Argentine or naturalized with ten years of citizenship or 20 years as a permanent resident?
yes, that is correct.

Back