Health Insurance prices in Argentina

Not saying its not a great benefit, but often not as inexpensive as people think.
Not saying its not a great benefit, but often not as inexpensive as people think.
About seven years ago my mother spent a week in one of the best hospitals in the US. The bill was over $200,000. She paid about $3,000 out of pocket with minimal (I think about $75 a month at the time) supplemental insurance. I think that's an exceptionally good deal.

Self employed people pay in some cases, but as a business owner, there were many times when I did not pay myself a "salary". As a c corporation, which I have been for 20 odd years now, any "profit" is income to me, but not a type of income which counts as medicare quarters. In today's gig economy, a lot of people are like me- they have LLCs or Corporations, and income is treated differently.
I quit my last day job in 1978. Over the years since then, I have had well over 100 employees, 1 or 2 at a time, and I paid half of THEIR medicare and SS, but not enough of my own. Oh well.
The argentine system, where you just walk into a public hospital, and get treated, is more inclusive. I had a friend, an expat, who broke his shoulder in a fall- he went to the hospital on Cordoba, and had extensive treatment, a day or two in the hospital, and months of follow up- 100% free. no bribes, no under the table payments. The EMTs picked him up, and he got treated. Not the case in the USA. My kid once broke his arm, when I had Blue Cross- $3000 out of pocket, in Washington State.
I agree that there is 100% free treatment in public hospitals here. It can be very good in some cases (apparently the Fernandez is a good place for accidents) but most people prefer private clinics where there are much shorter waits and, at least in the good ones, superior service. You don't see CFK going to public hospitals. As for your Medicare situation, I don't understand how you didn't get in at least ten years of contributions. In cases where people have low incomes and are too young for Medicare or somehow fall through the cracks, there is Medicaid. Many elderly people end up in nursing homes paying out of pocket until they run out of money. At that point Medicaid (the US government) pays the bills. Your Blue Cross (not Medicare) plan must have had a high deductible to have wound up with a $3,000 bill for a broken arm.

The assertion that "a US citizen in Argentina has to pay for health care that is provided virtually free in the US" is not entirely accurate.

Aa far as I know, any "inhabitant" can acces the public health care system n Argentina. by going to a public hospital, thought I doubt a tourst who has the now required "international" coverage would want to if that coveage applies to private hospitals. I have no doubt that they would not be required to have temporary or permanent residency (in other words, no DNI) to receive at least "emergency" health care in any public hospital free of charge.

Nonetheless, based on my own experience, I am absolutey certain that a citizen of the US who has temporary or permanent residency in Argentina can access the public healh care system in Argentina, though it may not be entirely "free" or without cost and probably would not include advanced treatment for serious diseases.

Since turning 65 in 2015, I don't think I have paid even close to a total of what would be for just one monthly Medicare Part B payment (currently $170 USD for annual lab tests, at least twenty consultaions (face to face with doctors at the hosptial in Punta Alta) after rceiving the "order" from the doctor in the clinic one KM from my house) ten ultrasound exams, two hearing and two nose and throat exams, at least five x-rays, a CAT scan, a colonoscopy, and three minor surgeries (all at the local hospital except fot the CAT scan).

This thread is only six months old and contains a lot more information:

Personally I think is it a mistake to NOT pay Part B even if the US citizen is living abroad. Situations change and you may want or need to return to the US. If you don't take out Part B at time of enrollment I don't think you can get back into it. I think it's a safety valve that should not be discarded but each person has their own perspective.

The assertion that "a US citizen in Argentina has to pay for health care that is provided virtually free in the US" is not entirely accurate.

Aa far as I know, any "inhabitant" can acces the public health care system n Argentina. by going to a public hospital, thought I doubt a tourst who has the now required "international" coverage would want to if that coveage applies to private hospitals. I have no doubt that they would not be required to have temporary or permanent residency (in other words, no DNI) to receive at least "emergency" health care in any public hospital free of charge.

Nonetheless, based on my own experience, I am absolutey certain that a citizen of the US who has temporary or permanent residency in Argentina can access the public healh care system in Argentina, though it may not be entirely "free" or without cost and probably would not include advanced treatment for serious diseases.

Since turning 65 in 2015, I don't think I have paid even close to a total of what would be for just one monthly Medicare Part B payment (currently $170 USD for annual lab tests, at least twenty consultaions (face to face with doctors at the hosptial in Punta Alta) after rceiving the "order" from the doctor in the clinic one KM from my house) ten ultrasound exams, two hearing and two nose and throat exams, at least five x-rays, a CAT scan, a colonoscopy, and three minor surgeries (all at the local hospital except fot the CAT scan).

This thread is only six months old and contains a lot more information:

About the private coverage now required of tourists, I think it's only for Covid treatment.

Personally I think is it a mistake to NOT pay Part B even if the US citizen is living abroad. Situations change and you may want or need to return to the US. If you don't take out Part B at time of enrollment I don't think you can get back into it. I think it's a safety valve that should not be discarded but each person has their own perspective.
If you don't enroll in Part B when first eligible, you will pay 10% more per month for each 12 month period not enrolled, but it is possible.

I'm not planning on going back for any reason, including health care, especially if I have to get jabbed to get on a plane.

PS: Even at the public hospital in Punta Alta, proof of the jab is not required, though everyone is still wearing face diapers.

Last edited:
You need forty quarters -- ten years. Self employed people pay into the system. Everyone who wants Part B pays something pe

Yes, you can get back into it if you were out of the country when you declined the coverage and moved back!
Also, Part B can be free depending on the State you live in and your financial situation.

By Argentine Law Private Medical Insurance Orgs. can't refuse service to any age ..? However they are free to set the prices at levels that are prohibitive,,! A major Private Medical Insurance requires a battery of tests performed to determine Then the cost of the Plan..! May exclude recurring ailments.

If you don't enroll in Part B when first eligible, you will pay 10% more per month for each 12 month period not enrolled, but it is possible.

I'm not planning on going back for any reason, including health care, especially if I have to get jabbed to get on a plane.

PS: Even at the public hospital in Punta Alta, proof of the jab is not required, though everyone is still wearing face diapers.
US citizens are not required to have taken the Covid vaccine for entry into the US; only non resident foreign nationals.
Glad to hear that it's possible to sign up for Part B at a later date.

Back