Health Insurance prices in Argentina

That is a lot!! I believe my OSDE 210 plan costs around 19,000 per month between direct debits and employer contributions.
It has exploded over the past year and of course not helped by my age. The government used to keep a tight rein on the health insurance companies, but no more. They have allowed big increases over the past year. If you check the monthly inflation stats health insurance has been near the top every month.

If you don't have a job that provides health care in the US and don't qualify for Medicaid by virtue of being low income, health care is very expensive in the US but at age 65 everyone is covered with Medicare which for all intents and purposes is socialized medicine allowing you to use any hospital. Therefore, a US citizen in Argentina has to pay for health care that is provided virtually free in the US. I know someone here said that the health care companies will accept people 65 or over but I've heard otherwise so maybe there is someone here 65 or older who has successfully applied for and been accepted after age 65 who could tell us how it worked and what the costs are.
Depends on your work history. Because I was self employed most of my life, I pay a monthly premium for medicare of several hundred dollars. Not common, but still the situation of millions of US citizens. I think mine is $260 a month now. Of course, I paid much more in taxes than many others, just not as an employee. Argentina is still cheaper.

If you don't have a job that provides health care in the US and don't qualify for Medicaid by virtue of being low income, health care is very expensive in the US but at age 65 everyone is covered with Medicare which for all intents and purposes is socialized medicine allowing you to use any hospital. Therefore, a US citizen in Argentina has to pay for health care that is provided virtually free in the US. I know someone here said that the health care companies will accept people 65 or over but I've heard otherwise so maybe there is someone here 65 or older who has successfully applied for and been accepted after age 65 who could tell us how it worked and what the costs are.
Medicare is definitely NOT virtually free in the USA. If you want to be adequately covered by Medicare and the "add ons" you are talking between $300 and $500US a month. Nothing is free or "virtually free" in the USA.

Depends on your work history. Because I was self employed most of my life, I pay a monthly premium for medicare of several hundred dollars. Not common, but still the situation of millions of US citizens. I think mine is $260 a month now. Of course, I paid much more in taxes than many others, just not as an employee. Argentina is still cheaper.
You need forty quarters -- ten years. Self employed people pay into the system. Everyone who wants Part B pays something per month.

Medicare is definitely NOT virtually free in the USA. If you want to be adequately covered by Medicare and the "add ons" you are talking between $300 and $500US a month. Nothing is free or "virtually free" in the USA.
Not true. There are many Medicare Advantage plans (like HMOs) that allow you do use major hospitals and a list of doctors without ANY extra charge. And if you are outside the network and have an accident you can go to any hospital in the US. Medicare is an extraordinary benefit.

The assertion that "a US citizen in Argentina has to pay for health care that is provided virtually free in the US" is not entirely accurate.

Aa far as I know, any "inhabitant" can acces the public health care system n Argentina. by going to a public hospital, thought I doubt a tourst who has the now required "international" coverage would want to if that coveage applies to private hospitals. I have no doubt that they would not be required to have temporary or permanent residency (in other words, no DNI) to receive at least "emergency" health care in any public hospital free of charge.

Nonetheless, based on my own experience, I am absolutey certain that a citizen of the US who has temporary or permanent residency in Argentina can access the public healh care system in Argentina, though it may not be entirely "free" or without cost and probably would not include advanced treatment for serious diseases.

Since turning 65 in 2015, I don't think I have paid even close to a total of what would be for just one monthly Medicare Part B payment (currently $170 USD for annual lab tests, at least twenty consultaions (face to face with doctors at the hosptial in Punta Alta) after rceiving the "order" from the doctor in the clinic one KM from my house) ten ultrasound exams, two hearing and two nose and throat exams, at least five x-rays, a CAT scan, a colonoscopy, and three minor surgeries (all at the local hospital except fot the CAT scan).

This thread is only six months old and contains a lot more information:

Not true. There are many Medicare Advantage plans (like HMOs) that allow you do use major hospitals and a list of doctors without ANY extra charge. And if you are outside the network and have an accident you can go to any hospital in the US. Medicare is an extraordinary benefit.
Not saying its not a great benefit, but often not as inexpensive as people think.

You need forty quarters -- ten years. Self employed people pay into the system. Everyone who wants Part B pays something per month.
Self employed people pay in some cases, but as a business owner, there were many times when I did not pay myself a "salary". As a c corporation, which I have been for 20 odd years now, any "profit" is income to me, but not a type of income which counts as medicare quarters. In today's gig economy, a lot of people are like me- they have LLCs or Corporations, and income is treated differently.
I quit my last day job in 1978. Over the years since then, I have had well over 100 employees, 1 or 2 at a time, and I paid half of THEIR medicare and SS, but not enough of my own. Oh well.
The argentine system, where you just walk into a public hospital, and get treated, is more inclusive. I had a friend, an expat, who broke his shoulder in a fall- he went to the hospital on Cordoba, and had extensive treatment, a day or two in the hospital, and months of follow up- 100% free. no bribes, no under the table payments. The EMTs picked him up, and he got treated. Not the case in the USA. My kid once broke his arm, when I had Blue Cross- $3000 out of pocket, in Washington State.

Back