Help! What power adapter/converter/device for laptop, camera do I need??

Ailujjj

Registered
About to leave on my final shopping trip in preparation for BA and still not entirely sure what I should be buying for use with my laptop.

What is everyone using ? Should I bother to hunt around Best Buy for them or wait until I get there. Surge protectors, converters, voltage spikes and drops... not sure what to actually get. That said, I would like to be up and running with the laptop sooner than later once I arrive.

Thanks!

As long as you laptop power is rated 110/240 50/60 Hrtz your ok..! Plug adapters are cheap and available anywhere here...

I have 3 Acers from Canada, and all perform perfectly here , for over 2 years now... :D

Small transformers (for converting 220 to 110)for cameras, cell phone etc are available everywhere for ~ 25 pesos

I agree with Neil.

You might bring a universal adapter or two to match your plugs to BAs plugs, just because it may take you a day or two to find out where to buy some of the things around here and you can plug in immediately.

Ailujjj said:
About to leave on my final shopping trip in preparation for BA and still not entirely sure what I should be buying for use with my laptop.

What is everyone using ? Should I bother to hunt around Best Buy for them or wait until I get there. Surge protectors, converters, voltage spikes and drops... not sure what to actually get. That said, I would like to be up and running with the laptop sooner than later once I arrive.

Thanks!

First of all, double check your laptop power adapter and make sure that it handles 110 and 220. I would imagine most do, but don't know that for sure.

If I were you I would go ahead and buy an adapter for it in the US. It's the adapter for the physical connection - one end female with 2 slots for your power cable and outputs to 2 poles to plug in. If I remember correctly I think it will european type.

In terms of surge protector I would go ahead and wait until you get here and buy a power stabilizer. You can find them all over including WalMart, Jumbo, Carrefour.

In terms of a transformer, if you have something that needs it, I would also wait until you get here. For some reason 2 of ours blew out that we brought from US. A great place for autotransformador, connectors and electronics stuff is Digofat in Martinez.

Transformadores Digofat
H Yrigoyen 581
(1640) Martinez
4792-1653

Good luck!

Perfect, thanks guys. I checked and it is in fact able to do the 110/220 50/60 magic :) Will pick up some plug adapters and the rest in BA. Muchas gracias!

Again as I have stated in another post; If you buy a transformer make sure it is big enough to handle the appliance you are using it on.
Transformers are rated in VA, VA is roughly equivilent to watts, but not exactly, the exact relationship is too complex to go into here, but if you allow 15% you will be safe.

I ended up getting a rather nifty one from WalMart for $10. Best Buy had a kit with every adapter imagineable for all over the world but was pretty useless otherwise, for 2-3 times the price.

It's called the All-in-One Adapter Plug and I think it's by their in-house travel brand, Protege (in with the luggage dept). It is specifically designed for computers and dual voltage appliances. Particularly pleased that it also includes a built-in surge protector! It has 4 separate adapter plugs (could be used elsewhere); accepts grounded or ungrounded plugs. It is rectangular, would roughly fit into a coffee mug, and is quite lightweight.

Anyhow, haven't tried it out but it certainly seems to meet my needs and I won't be too worried about using my laptop when I arrive (although will look into some of the other things later on, ie to protect against drops in electricity etc).

Edited to add: it's actually made by Conair.

Ailujjj said:
Anyhow, haven't tried it out but it certainly seems to meet my needs and I won't be too worried about using my laptop when I arrive (although will look into some of the other things later on, ie to protect against drops in electricity etc).

Laptops, since they are running off (or through) a battery, are functionally immune to power fluctuations.

Just plug it in and go.....

Saludos,

David

For transformers you can also check La Casa del Transformador, In Parana St
corner to B. Mitre ,I think.
VA means Volt times Amp, which is one Watt.
So, if you have an appliance rated at, say, 5 Amps, you need a (110 V x 5 Amp) or about 550 Watts.
Easy enough?

They have two kinds. The most common used looks like the Australian, not sure if they are the same. And the other, not so common, looks like the European one, but it's not. It won't fit as it's just slightly smaller.
If your adapter does not fit here, you can like other posters said, pick one up when you get here. They usually sell it on busy streets. If you give us what barrio you will live in maybe someone can help you with an exact location. I know I had some problems finding one when I first got here.

Back