Help with package held up at customs

rinacook

Registered
so, i have been in BA for just a week and had some of my clothes shipped here from the states via FEDex to be held for me until i get here. I went to the office at 25 de mayo and the guy there told me that i must go out to the airport to get my boxes as they are held up at customs. so, i have several questions: what is the best way (cheapest) to get out to the airport from San telmo--cab? Bus? and the best way to get back. i am so pissed as i assuming that i will have to pay duty on my own clothes/shoes etc. and is customs open on sat/sun? help. i am just a stupid american. thanks!

Take lots of unmarked bills. If they are your clothes and being sent to you, and especially if they are used, you shouldn't have to pay anything. But unless your Spanish is excellent and/or you're a real sweet talker, you'll probably have to pay something.

I think that the there's a City Bus (the absolute slowest and cheapest option) that takes you to one of the two terminals. There is also a "Tienda Leon" bus/shuttle thing. http://www.tiendaleon.com.ar/

This is your second cheapest option.

I had to collect a package from customs at ezeiza and they made me pay the full cost of the goods in tax!!! And there were 15 steps to complete the process which took 2 hours (go to office a, take this slip to office b, pay at office c,return to office a to get receipt and on and on). It didn't help that I was pregnant and two weeks before due date, no short cuts allowed. A nightmare. I guy who was collecting an old jacket his mum sent him had to pay over 100 US dollars for it. Good luck...

I guess now is the right (or wrong) time to mention to expats that if you have anything sent from abroad (except for you know, rare works of art), have them sent via regular mail and mark a value of less than 15 dollars on the outside of the box. I believe all goods worth over 15 or 50 dollars (in one year) are subject to a 50% tax.

Now that I think about it Rinacook, you could probably make the argument that your stuff isn't worth more than (think of a very low amount) because it's used.

that's what i intend to do. i will open the boxes and show them--they'll see the dog hairs from my yellow lab on all of my clothes, etc!.--however, i know that they can and will impose whatever duties that they want. thanks for your help.

JoeBlow said:
I guess now is the right (or wrong) time to mention to expats that if you have anything sent from abroad (except for you know, rare works of art), have them sent via regular mail and mark a value of less than 15 dollars on the outside of the box. I believe all goods worth over 15 or 50 dollars (in one year) are subject to a 50% tax.

Gawwwwwd, how many times has this advice been given, and how many times has it been ignored. When will we gringos tontos learn!?!?! :)

Back