Here's Another Crime Story.

I'm not really that angry but I am SO SORRY if you have lost all that. I have 8 boxes of books in the states still to be shipped and I got rid of 8 boxes before I came. Some of my books are out of print special archeological histories from the prehistoric U.S. continent, and things like that, and while I can live without my Nikon camera, I would die if they stole my books! NOW it's getting serious!

Were you burglarized or just the victim of petty thieves? I have an Argentina friend who tells me trust no one, and then to impress me with the fact, she told me that she stayed overnight once at some friends' when she was there late and they said just stay here tonight, and in the morning the money was gone out of her wallet. She said, "And it isn't just the poor people either, those people own 9 apartments here in Buenos Aires!" I said, "Are you still friends?" She said, "NO!"

So I asked a young woman who manages an office complex here, "Is it true that everyone will steal here, even from friends?" She thought a minute and said, "Yes." Then she told me she was going to translate for me the most popular song ever in Argentina, "If you don't lie and you don't steal, you are stupid." I enjoy being here, but I really have a hard time adjusting to that. I do have some great friends here (so I think). These people are so funny. I told one friend I am trying to figure out why the U. S. and Argentina are SO DIFFERENT. The people look the same. She said, "Well, think about it! The U.S. was founded by people fleeing so they could practice their religion. Argentina was founded by pirates!" So I passed that to another Argentina friend and she laughed and said, "Yes and they are still here; they just came ashore!"

So I guess in time I'll get edumacated! (P.S. It's sister!)

I have a puerto blindada. A very strong reinforced door. No one is kicking this baby inn. Pricey , but well worth the peace and security. The brand is Pentagono. It is a major deterent. When thieves see it , they just pass on to the next cheap wood framed door. Also an alarm system is highly recommended.

Quite a coincidence that your beloved portero was 'out" while they were in the building.........

GS is right , trust no one.

Where did you get your door and am I allowed to ask the cost? I asked the real estate people about the alarm system but she says you can get them for houses but not apartments.

I can't remember if I posted earlier that they are here working on my door right now and I am not happy but I won't bore you with my reasons. Thanks for all the suggestions for security. The way I feel the chances are good that I'm going to move. But your suggestions are going to be helpful even elsewhere. If anyone else has ideas I think we all probably appreciate them. I surely do! Someone wrote me off forum suggesting I get one of those doors for now and sell it when I leave. Hmmmm, I wonder if it would be that easy to do. But I'm open to just about any idea.

Here's my suggestions : http://www.bersa.com...nder9pro_en.php You bash in my door I will blast you right back outside.
50411.jpg

Where did you get your door and am I allowed to ask the cost? I asked the real estate people about the alarm system but she says you can get them for houses but not apartments.

Sorry to hear about the break in. I see no reason why you couldn't use the same alarm systems in an apartment. You could install it with a few infrared sensors (wireless if you don't want to install all the cables). I bought a system a year ago with two infrared sensors, two sirens (one inside, one for the outside) and two keychain remots for about 1400 pesos - so not a huge expense.

Fried Turkey, I like your attitude!

Germano, can you tell me where you went for the alarm system? I'm really interested in that. I sure wish I had had a hidden camera here. I'd LOVE to have a picture of whoever it was!!!!

...can you tell me where you went for the alarm system? I'm really interested in that.

If getting an alarm system I'd definitely recommend getting a monitored service.

If someone breaks into your apartment, the first thing they will do is smash the siren; if they know it's monitored then the thieves have a few seconds to grab what they can and get out before the police arrive.

Here in Bariloche I know of a house that got robbed, the monitored alarm when off, the siren was smashed, the cables yanked out of the wall but I assume they thought the signal had been sent to the monitoring company so just grabbed the TV and made off - they must have been in and out in about a 30 seconds.

In another instance an apartment had the door kicked in, the alarm went off and they ran and nothing was stolen.

It apparently wasn't common to have an alarms in apartments (here in Bariloche), just houses, but now it becoming much more common as more apartments are starting to be robbed.... a sign of the times. As a guide, an alarm system professionally installed in Bariloche is (AR$2 to 3k then about AR$110 month for the monitoring service)

Just steer clear of the company 'ADT', I've hear their service is terrible.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Ok here's my 2 cents,steel is the answer ,cross bar of steel at the door and one hooked to the floor ,that'll take care of anyone entering your apartment when you are inside,always carry pepper spray handy even inside your house,assume every day you might be attacked so it's time to start thinking tacticly(whos around at what time and such)wouldn't hurt to get some biohazzard signs to leave in you apartment(if they are gonna rob you at least you'll make them think what they might catch)for when you leave have one or more deadlocks that you installed and only you have the key,take a trip to your local hardware store, you'll be surprised how many different locks exists today[/background]

what at TERRIBLE WAY TO LIVE!!!

If someone breaks into your apartment, the first thing they will do is smash the siren;
True. It is a good idea to have two sirens and if possible in places where they are not that easy to reach/see.

Just steer clear of the company 'ADT', I've hear their service is terrible.
I have heard ugly things about ADT here in Mendoza ... for example that ADT people were involved in robberies.

Back