Hi, I'm Trent, Not Another Car Question?! Please Read.

Buying the car with tourist visa is no problem. You just get a tax ID called C.D.I. at the local AFIP office before you buy the car (with your passport and certificado de domicilio). Then you need to do a bunch of paperwork to register it. Some car dealers do the registration for you for a fee (usually well worth it and saves a lot of work).

One thing to keep in mind regarding driving through Patagonia: If the car is registered in your name then you will most likely not be able to drive it to the Chilean side of Patagonia.

Re:

It's quite logical that people (anonymous) on a forum will also warn you, not knowing you. Replies can be much worst on this forum (like: do you have a vet to recommend for my cat? --> Why would you have a cat anyway... lol).

Most of us have been crazy enough to sell everything back in our home country to come live in this kind of "last frontier" country so no problem.

Of course, for 4 months, it makes sense to buy a car & since you consider the possibility of breakdowns on your journey, then why not!

To get a car registered in your name (YMMV):
1- Go to the relevant police station with some kind of proof of where you live to get a "certificado de domicilio" (utility bill if renting a place, not applicable to you, or likely a hotel bill since some people managed to get this document). Cost: a few pesos, like 20 or 30.
2- The next day, police will bring the certificado de domicilio to your hotel
3- With that certificado de domicilio, go to the AFIP (local IRS) with your passport and ask for a CDI. Cost: free, waiting time: 1 or 2 hours.

After that, you'll be able to register a car in your name when you show up with the seller at the "Registro automotor". Cost: several hundred pesos (small percentage of the value of the car), waiting time: 2 to 3 hours, maybe more.

Some people on the forum (like Nikad) likely provide assistance in those cases.

Now remains the problem finding the best possible vehicle for the budget, without being screwed too much. Here again, maybe you can find someone on the forum who could assist. Your vehicle will need to have passed the "Verificacion tecnica vehicular" too (I think it's mandatory since a few months in Capital).

Time needed for the paperwork + finding a vehicle: 4 to 5 business days would be a minimum imho. If I were you, but I'm not, I wouldn't hesitate to spend 2 more days finding the perfect car in order to minimize the possibility of a huge problem later. Also, I'd buy a car like the one you shown: a popular model for which parts can be found easily.

One comment about your post: when changing back your pesos to USD, don't do it in Uruguay (worst rate), better do it in a "cueva" in Buenos Aires

First off I just want to thank everyone for the replies.

The worst things about these forums is the first thing people want to do is knock you for your idea. They tell you how hard it is, how you can't do it, and what you should do. I was hoping for different from you guys but I guess it's all the same.

For the people who said that a 5,000 dollar is an old truck let me show you a few posts. like this one.

http://www.alamaula.com/buenos-aires/camionetas/fiorino-1-7-diesel-1999-c-aire/13621642

So for 2,800 american, at the blue dollar rate, I can buy that.

What if it breaks down, what about this, what about that.

This is a TRIP, a journey, I expect break downs, I'm a travel author, and I understand the risks, my questions were about paper work, not about risks.

Of course selling it will be hard, that's why I'm going to sell it for half of what I bought it, I've read about the selling process, and I'm not worried about that, I'm worried about the buying.

What am i going to do with all the pesos?! Again, like I have stated several times, I'm not an average idiot american thank god. I have done my research, and I don't need harsh criticism about the fact you don't think I know what I'm doing.

For the pesos I have already lined up a bitcoin transfer to get out of the city, or I will just go into Uruguay and exchange the pesos for US dollars.

And yes! I know the exchange rate is horrible...

But instead of renting a small car for 4,000 grand for four months, I could buy a car for 3 grand, insurance, taxes, a break down here or there and total 4 grand. Then I can sell it and maybe get 500-1000 bucks back at the end, a win in my mind.

I would like to thank the one poster for the information about a contact, please please understand this is a huge THANK YOU.

If anyone else has any advice on the paper work, the time, or a contact to help me thank you very much

Trent
You have it all figured out. Go for it! Let us know how it works out. [and if you catch any fish]

My only warning would be that you need to allot at least a month at the end of the trip for advertising the truck for sale, make sure to have lots of people lined up to see it when you leave because you have no idea, people back out of deals all the time here. We advertised our ford focus 2007 perfect condition for a few weeks running, it was slightly under market value very good price, we spent 1200 pesos advertising and got only about 10 calls and no one came to buy, it's still occupying our garage. You'll be selling at a different time of year (we ran into end of year, everyone tight on money, want to save for Christmas and holidays etc) but selling even a deal can take tight. So just make sure to advertise plenty in advance. Insurance for Patagonia is going to be expensive but you could still come out a bit ahead of renting yes. But you'll be llimited to travel within Argentina. Altternatives might be to try to purchase in Mendoza or bariloche where some people have Chilean licensed cars though not sure what happens with these when title passes on (and yes generally more expensive there) Chile I'm pretty sure you cannot purchase without residency unfortunately.

PS I'm not saying you need to hang out in BA for a month, just saying get it online for sale well in advance and be aware many that call by the time you get back will have backed out

Given how little you lose on resale here, if you have the money I'd recommend buying a nice truck. Vehicles hold their value here. The drop in value for four months of use will be minimal, and you'll have the benefit of driving round in a nice truck without worrying about it breaking down. You'll also find it easier to sell a nice new truck as opposed to an old one.

Or if you go for a used one, you can check such a dealer (carone = they offer a warranty on used cars).

For instance this 2007 Fiat Uno for 58.000 pesos (roughly 4200 USD when the exchange rate will be even better next month)
http://usados.carone.com.ar/fiat-uno-fire-3ptas-2007/

Very Good posting Trent, One can tell you are not an average Idiot American. :cool:

I would like to read the Travel Notes of your Patagonia Trip. I ASS-u -me you would buy the car down there instead of driving from BA?? Therefore someone FROM there can advise better about the paperwork etc, Please purchase additional insurance coverage for windshield rock damage, A standard in Patagonia.

You Wrote;
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]For the pesos I will just go into Uruguay and exchange the pesos for US dollars. :rolleyes:[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Can do Better on Florida Street, no need to go to Uruguay...??[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Goodspeed[/background]

My only warning would be that you need to allot at least a month at the end of the trip for advertising the truck for sale, make sure to have lots of people lined up to see it when you leave because you have no idea, people back out of deals all the time here. We advertised our ford focus 2007 perfect condition for a few weeks running, it was slightly under market value very good price, we spent 1200 pesos advertising and got only about 10 calls and no one came to buy, it's still occupying our garage. You'll be selling at a different time of year (we ran into end of year, everyone tight on money, want to save for Christmas and holidays etc) but selling even a deal can take tight. So just make sure to advertise plenty in advance. Insurance for Patagonia is going to be expensive but you could still come out a bit ahead of renting yes. But you'll be llimited to travel within Argentina. Altternatives might be to try to purchase in Mendoza or bariloche where some people have Chilean licensed cars though not sure what happens with these when title passes on (and yes generally more expensive there) Chile I'm pretty sure you cannot purchase without residency unfortunately.
A Chilean licensed plate car can not be sold in Argentina... Unless you nationalize the car pay Custom Duties and get Argentinean Plates...$$$ (Went through this once ).

One comment about your post: when changing back your pesos to USD, don't do it in Uruguay (worst rate), better do it in a "cueva" in Buenos Aires

Agreed - if you can, bring all the US dollars you can when you fly down. But keep it under $10,000, so you don't have to declare it (lowers the chance of getting robbed upon leaving the airport). If you need more than $10k for your trip, then consider something like Xoom or Uruguay.

Back