Hi, I'm Trent, Not Another Car Question?! Please Read.

TrenDen

Registered
Hello,

And yes, I am very sorry to ask another car question.

But let me start by saying this, I have done a ton of research, and I am well aware of all the hassles but I have a few more questions please.

First, I am flying into BA in a few weeks, and am looking to buy a car for a four month trip Fly Fishing Patagonia, and then sell the car and leave. I truly understand how hard this is and all the hassle. But this trip has been a dream, I have been planning a very long time, and the hassle to have my own car is worth the reward. I would rent a car, but for the price of a rental I could get a 10-15 year old truck and drive that.

That being said, I have been looking at the website, alamaula, too purchase my car. Has anyone used this site and is it safe?

Also, once I buy the car, is it realistic to take a full day, one day, and get all the paper work I need for it and get it into my name?

If i wasn't the best in spanish, can I hire a translator for a day to follow me around and help me?

Thank you, if anyone on here would like to help I would love to talk to you.

Trent

I have no idea on the site. I hate to rain on your parade but realistically for a 4 month trip - not feasible to buy a car IMO. You not only need to deal with the paperwork involved in buying but then would need to find a buyer, deal with selling it, getting paid in pesos for the car which are worthless outside of Argentina as you know, plus have to get insurance, pay the patentes, etc, etc. Without having any kind of address since it seems like you are planing on traveling, I'm not even sure how that would work.

Have you tried contacting someone at one of the lodges/hotels you'll be staying at and seeing if they have any ideas of someone who might want to rent a car out for that time period? You could probably work out some kind of deal for renting a car. Alternately, not fun but do you really need a car? Might work out easier to just arrange transport between places.

How familiar are you with the roads? I'm not sure where you're going but many, many roads are rough going.

Also, I really recommend Hosteria Paimun if you want to do some fly fishing. IT's in the middle of a national park - Parque Nacional Lanin - no electricity, cell service, tv, nothing. But one of the most beautiful places I've been and the fishing is fantastic. http://www.hosteriapaimun.com.ar

Also, one last question.

What if I took a bus to the country, and bought a car in Neuquén.

Would it be easier/less people at the offices in the country to do all the paper work. Can I find insurance and everything as a non resident pretty easy. Or is it best to stay in BA to do a car?

Thanks

It would seem to be that renting a car for a month would be a lot easier, safer and maybe even cheaper.

Pickup trucks are rare here.

What are the prices to rent a car for a month in Argentina? What are the insurance issues between buying an old car vs. renting.

What happens if the car you buy has the engine blow on a dusty road in Patagonia?

You can buy a car as a tourist, no problem (plenty of threads explain the process).

Count at least 2 or 3 days for the paperwork. At least in the city of Bs As, it will take 24 hours to get a certificado de domicilio (police station), it can be done during the day in the Bs As suburbs (registro civil + round trip to the bank to pay the fee).

Now the main problem would be finding quickly a 12/15 years old car that can drive you for 1000s of kilometers. Such cars exist but well, it takes some time to find one. You can also buy from a dealership, but do serious dealerships sell cars which are so old? No idea.

Also, you won't be able to go to Tierra del Fuego with your car if I'm right (since you'll need to drive in Chile on the way).

Why not fly to Patagonia, and take local buses there? Once in a small city, you can find a local remis (private cab) that will take you where you want. Maybe you can contact local associations of people doing fly fishing?

EDIT: and cars usually are more expensive in the province + less choice.

buying and reselling after a month is a BAD BAD idea....!!

Renting available all over Patagonia for like US$50 per day figure on a 25 % less for a month...! What car can you buy $15,625 pesos hhahahah..

Perfect car for you Only US$5000 !!! V8
Ford F100 V8 Mod79 Nunca Gnc

[font=Helvetica Neue'] [/font]http://auto.mercadol...9-nunca-gnc-_JM

f100-v8-mod79-nunca-gnc-21008-MLA20201865319_112014-O.jpg

See link for car rental in Bariloche One week $2900 pesos with 1500 km. free or US$928 per month...!!
http://akarentacar.c...r/#section-4848

http://www.despegar....e#?currency=ARS

Gettina a car registered and obtaining a Cedula Verde takes over 30 days however you may drive with a notarized purchase document...!

Insurance can be purchased easily

The responders seem to think TrenDen wants a car for one month, but his posting says four months. For one month I would rent a car (in fact I did just that - see below), but for 4 months, it might make sense to buy one. If it were me, I would get help from a local to go through the process. There's someone on this forum named Nikad who I think offers this kind of service - see her posting signature for how to contact her.

Your trip sounds awesome by the way. We recently rented a car for a 4-week road trip around Patagonia. The cost was about 14k pesos (just under US$1000 at the time, at the dolarblue rate). Make sure your car has a spare tire that is in working condition, and that you have what you need to change the spare (jack, wrench, and any security key for the wheel if it has one). Learn the word "gomería" - if you have a flat, that's what you'll be asking for. Almost every town (even tiny ones) seemed to have at least one gomería with a pretty visible sign. I paid a guy 50 pesos to repair a flat just outside Bariloche. We drove about 6800 kilometers (4300 miles) on the trip. Most of the roads were paved, but there a few hundred miles that were unpaved gravel, mostly between Bariloche and El Chaltén.

For fishing, make sure you know about fishing season, licenses, etc. I think in the Bariloche area (Rio Negro province), the new season had just started November 1.

And may your fishing luck be as good as this guy's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJkZhZwkqSY

Gettina a car registered and obtaining a Cedula Verde takes over 30 days however you may drive with a notarized purchase document...!

I agree with you "Rich One Not So Much Until 01/20/15" except on that one. Every time, I got the Cedula Verde instantly (whether for motorcycles or cars). In the Northern suburbs though (different world maybe)

First off I just want to thank everyone for the replies.

The worst things about these forums is the first thing people want to do is knock you for your idea. They tell you how hard it is, how you can't do it, and what you should do. I was hoping for different from you guys but I guess it's all the same.

For the people who said that a 5,000 dollar is an old truck let me show you a few posts. like this one.

http://www.alamaula.com/buenos-aires/camionetas/fiorino-1-7-diesel-1999-c-aire/13621642

So for 2,800 american, at the blue dollar rate, I can buy that.

What if it breaks down, what about this, what about that.

This is a TRIP, a journey, I expect break downs, I'm a travel author, and I understand the risks, my questions were about paper work, not about risks.

Of course selling it will be hard, that's why I'm going to sell it for half of what I bought it, I've read about the selling process, and I'm not worried about that, I'm worried about the buying.

What am i going to do with all the pesos?! Again, like I have stated several times, I'm not an average idiot american thank god. I have done my research, and I don't need harsh criticism about the fact you don't think I know what I'm doing.

For the pesos I have already lined up a bitcoin transfer to get out of the city, or I will just go into Uruguay and exchange the pesos for US dollars.

And yes! I know the exchange rate is horrible...

But instead of renting a small car for 4,000 grand for four months, I could buy a car for 3 grand, insurance, taxes, a break down here or there and total 4 grand. Then I can sell it and maybe get 500-1000 bucks back at the end, a win in my mind.

I would like to thank the one poster for the information about a contact, please please understand this is a huge THANK YOU.

If anyone else has any advice on the paper work, the time, or a contact to help me thank you very much

Trent

Back