Hi, I'm Trent, Not Another Car Question?! Please Read.

... Altternatives might be to try to purchase in Mendoza or bariloche where some people have Chilean licensed cars though not sure what happens with these when title passes on (and yes generally more expensive there) Chile I'm pretty sure you cannot purchase without residency unfortunately.
You do not need residency in Chile to buy a car. You just get the Chilean tax ID (RUT) with your passport and you are ready to buy and register your car.

Sounds like a great trip. It would be a challenge buying and selling a truck , but it is doable. I have some friends who do car registrations and transfers for a fee. i also know some dealers , one who sells only trucks. Which I highly recommend. On one trip to the interior , and the wife took care of everything , including the car rental. She figured to save a few bucks and get a Corsa. Big mistake. I highly recommend a truck.

For pricing you can also check www.desauto.com.ar

Good luck with it. I would suggest that you check mercadolibre.com for prices of cars/trucks- that I can recommend as being pretty accurate as far as market rates.

Back