Homesickness

home sickness is often based on what was. Selective memories can be tricky. If things were so good at the point of origin, we wouldn't have left.

Yes, well said. And those who have been here in Argentina the longest, have also been away from the USA the longest. Going home for the holidays once a year doesn't put you back in touch with what's really going on stateside. The USA has changed radically in the post 9/11 era; the America in which I was born and raised is gone with the wind, just as surely as the antebellum South.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]...Also after returning home I felt like things had changed while I was away. I sometimes even felt like a stranger in my own country....[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]...The feeling of not having a place to really call "home" can be unsettling but it sure gives you freedom ..[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Good to know its not just me! [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Also I think living abroad in very different culture you naturally start to see your own culture from a different angle. I can understand why Latin Americans feel a certain distrust of the US/Europe and why they find us gringos hypocritical when criticising their culture and politics. [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Reading the UK papers and seeing all the nonsense going on over there and the shitty weather helps calm me down when the crazy of Argentina seems too much... [/background]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Expat Life 6
Vagrant Violet Expat Life 12
H Expat Life 28
Back