Homesickness

I myself have never suffered any homesickness and I have lived for more than a decade in Argentina, USA and Czech Republic as well as 3 years in Poland(communist Poland that is, Egypt and Brazil) Each place offers its pros and cons. In today's world, one can be so easily in touch(and so cheaply too..not like years ago when an international call cost a fortune and had to be booked in advance! as well as post which was often censured and very slow!) Emails, calls and skying are like the real thing but a close second!I miss a few food items or customs but if I really would ever feel total homesickness, I'D GO HOME!
Just my opinion not right or wrong, just mine!
Just a visit, spend time with friends and family, eat your favorite foods, go to those special places. That'll fix you up for another 10 years.
Nancy

Lovely pic Gringoboy. I miss the opportunity to head off with an OS map, go for a lovely walk and end up at a lovely pub with a warm pint. That and the beautiful coastline of Cornwall where we used to live. BTW Why Gringoboy when it appears you're no Yank!

Lovely pic Gringoboy. I miss the opportunity to head off with an OS map, go for a lovely walk and end up at a lovely pub with a warm pint. That and the beautiful coastline of Cornwall where we used to live. BTW Why Gringoboy when it appears you're no Yank!
I echo your sentiments there mate. Those soft rolling hills....don't get me started.
No idea why I chose that nom de plume; it was all a bit rushed lol.

Argies call any white westerner gringo. It's not like their Mexican counterparts who apply it only to Americans. I learned that my first week from a tour guide.

Argies call any white westerner gringo. It's not like their Mexican counterparts who apply it only to Americans. I learned that my first week from a tour guide.

I have never been called gringo in Argentina, but yanqui is very common and not necessarily a desprecio - it depends on context and tone of voice. Traditionally, in Argentina, gringo has meant an Italian.

I got homesick the first time I moved to Latin America and eventually moved back to my home country. But then I realized that the 'perfect' image I had from 'home' while living abroad did not reflect reality at all. Obviously I remembered all the nice things and forget about the bad. Also after returning home I felt like things had changed while I was away. I sometimes even felt like a stranger in my own country. A few years with an office job in the IT treadmill followed and then I had enough. Returned to the Americas and to my expat life. Never really felt homesick again.

Germano those are very interesting points you make. The feeling of not having a place to really call "home" can be unsettling but it sure gives you freedom. Are you planning on staying here forever?

Germano those are very interesting points you make. The feeling of not having a place to really call "home" can be unsettling but it sure gives you freedom. Are you planning on staying here forever?

Planning on staying forever? Yes - at least in Latin America. The reason why I am not 100% sure if I want to stay in Argentina forever are the safety issues. I think if things got a lot worse then I would move on to another place in Latin America where it is safer.

home sickness is often based on what was. Selective memories can be tricky. If things were so good at the point of origin, we wouldn't have left.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Expat Life 6
Vagrant Violet Expat Life 12
H Expat Life 28
Back