How Can I Bring Money to Argentina/Uruguay?

The text I quoted appears on my Canadian Scotia bank link to Western Union...maybe it's specific to Scotia banks relation with Western..

The text I quoted appears on my Canadian Scotia bank link to Western Union...maybe it's specific to Scotia banks relation with Western..
Thanks, Neil. I agree with your supposition. The WU ARG (in English) website shows:
Maximum Payment: 239,000 Argentine Pesos per transaction.

Last edited:
if you have a US bank account, it's easy.

1. put 20k in your account- one that gives you the withdraw fees back abroad
2. take it out at the bank in either country
I used to do that years ago, but current local ATM fees are murderous.

I send wire transfers from my USA accounts to my BROU (Banco Republica) account in Uruguay.

Hmmm. That's an idea. What is required for a foreigner to open up an account there?
October-November, 2019

October-November, 2019

Thanks, Gracielle. Looks like it's possible to open up an account there, but the don't make it easy. I'll just use my money broker here and save the hassle of frequent trips to Uruguay for withdrawals.

Hmmm. That's an idea. What is required for a foreigner to open up an account there?
Proofs of income, letter from employer, bills showing your place of residence, passport. I brought with me as many documents as possible when I opened my account in person a long time ago, while I lived in the USA. Last year some regulations changed and they contacted me via email requesting a lot of additional documents which I scanned and sent electronically to update my information. You may try translating their web page with google: https://www.brou.com.uy/personas/cuentas/cuenta-ahorro

Proofs of income, letter from employer, bills showing your place of residence, passport. I brought with me as many documents as possible when I opened my account in person a long time ago, while I lived in the USA. Last year some regulations changed and they contacted me via email requesting a lot of additional documents which I scanned and sent electronically to update my information. You may try translating their web page with google: https://www.brou.com.uy/personas/cuentas/cuenta-ahorro
Thanks for sharing. The Google translation is still unclear. Is the cash management fee (CME) of 2% is charged every month on your balance? I see there is a branch office in BA. What's the fee for using their debit/ ATM card over here?

Back