How Can I Bring Money to Argentina/Uruguay?

hansaleague

Registered
I'm sure this question gets asked a lot, but I'm having a hard time finding good options.

I'm looking to transport about $20K from the USA to Uruguay. What's the best way to do this. I must emphasize this is LEGAL, taxed money that's declared to the IRS, and I'm not asking for anything illegal here. But I am looking for the safest and most discreet way to do this.

So far the most direct way I can think of doing this is to just carry the cash. I'd have to declare it at customs in the USA (and I assume also in Uruguay or Argentina) but it's legal to carry it. I'd like to know, however, if there are any problems with that. Would it be dangerous in any way?

Another way is with bitcoin. I'd like to know if banks in Uruguay accept bitcoin deposits for new accounts (and what the limits would be). I'd also like to know if you can cash in that amount of bitcoin in Buenos Aires or Montevideo (preferably in dollars).

I don't really know another way to transport it and would much appreciate some advice. I have an EU passport.

Feel free to dm me if you prefer.

I'm sure this question gets asked a lot, but I'm having a hard time finding good options.

I'm looking to transport about $20K from the USA to Uruguay. What's the best way to do this. I must emphasize this is LEGAL, taxed money that's declared to the IRS, and I'm not asking for anything illegal here. But I am looking for the safest and most discreet way to do this.

So far the most direct way I can think of doing this is to just carry the cash. I'd have to declare it at customs in the USA (and I assume also in Uruguay or Argentina) but it's legal to carry it. I'd like to know, however, if there are any problems with that. Would it be dangerous in any way?

Another way is with bitcoin. I'd like to know if banks in Uruguay accept bitcoin deposits for new accounts (and what the limits would be). I'd also like to know if you can cash in that amount of bitcoin in Buenos Aires or Montevideo (preferably in dollars).

I don't really know another way to transport it and would much appreciate some advice. I have an EU passport.

Feel free to dm me if you prefer.
It's my understanding you can carry more than $10,000 AS LONG AS YOU DECLARE IT. If it's legal, then there shouldn't be a problem.

It's my understanding you can carry more than $10,000 AS LONG AS YOU DECLARE IT. If it's legal, then there shouldn't be a problem.

My concerns about that are two. First of all, the chances of getting mugged in Uruguay or Argentina. Second, the possible complicity of customs officials either in the USA or in Uruguay/Argentina in such muggings (hey there's a guy leaving the airport/arriving with 20k in cash). Or possibly the customs officials just seizing the money under some pretext. I can bring printouts and forms to show bank and income receipts, etc., but I'm not sure if this is enough, and you do hear horror stories.

Your chance of getting mugged in
My concerns about that are two. First of all, the chances of getting mugged in Uruguay or Argentina. Second, the possible complicity of customs officials either in the USA or in Uruguay/Argentina in such muggings (hey there's a guy leaving the airport/arriving with 20k in cash). Or possibly the customs officials just seizing the money under some pretext. I can bring printouts and forms to show bank and income receipts, etc., but I'm not sure if this is enough, and you do hear horror stories.
Your chance of getting mugged in Uruguay probably less than it happening in Miami. As far as corrupt officials, they're everywhere.

If you want to avoid declaring it and remain legal, make 2 trips, each with $9990. Make sure you have less than US $10k in all of your currencies combined. If I were carrying anything over maybe US $2000 I would never declare it coming into Argentina.

Thanks to all for the answers. For now it looks like the only option is to carry over $20K physically. It's legal but I think there are significant risks of being mugged or whatever. No one has any info on whether banks in Uruguay accept bitcoin or whether you can easily exchange bitcoin for dollars there privately?

You can also find a good 'financiera' you'd then wire the money to them in Uruguay/Argentina, you'll have to provide evidence of legal origins and sign anti money laundering docs. They will then give you cash in Uruguay/Argentina at their offices. They will of course charge a commission so factor this into your equation. Also, do a lot of research to make sure they are a legitimate operation. Good luck!

You can also find a good 'financiera' you'd then wire the money to them in Uruguay/Argentina, you'll have to provide evidence of legal origins and sign anti money laundering docs. They will then give you cash in Uruguay/Argentina at their offices. They will of course charge a commission so factor this into your equation. Also, do a lot of research to make sure they are a legitimate operation. Good luck!

Thanks. Do you know any that are reputable? Especially in Uruguay, where I'd feel safer receiving.

20 grand in bitcoin will probably be worth 12k by the time you get here, its dropping like a stone lately. You can wire the money with no risk and less cost than bitcoin depreciation, and if you are on your toes and go straight to a bank or hotel with a safe, you should be fine carrying it. People wear watches that cost that much in Punta every day, while driving $200,000 cars. And the biggest danger is getting cut by your bombilla when you slam on your brakes.

Back