How do BAexpats feel about converting Spanish to be Gender Neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was actually thinking that myself and how in the world would re-educate perhaps a billion or more people to speak differently.
And before we alter the language of a billion people, I suggest a close reading of my favorite joke, "The man with an orange for a head." https://www.city-journal.org/html/no-joke-13477.html

A man walks into a bar. He has an orange for a head. The bartender pours him a drink and says: “So—you want to tell me about it.... [Read on.]

I think we are better off just leaving Spanish alone; there are much bigger problems in the world at this time that really do need attention and activism. I regularly hear the words chey gordo or gorda or gordito or flaco/ita all spoken in love and no offense taken. You may have a different gender identity, and that is fine, but in the eyes of people, gender is also a way of describing or defining what or who you are talking about. People in Argentina do not get offended easily and are not nitpickers for the most part. That is one of the things about this culture I do like.

This is a ridiculuos topic at this current time considering that the economy is is freefall . I personally do not believe that Argentina is a machismo culture and is the most female friendly in the Americas including USA that has not even had one woman president .

Using "gorda" seems more passive aggressive than affectionate - but thanks for the mansplaining.

I'm disappointed that Cristina does not detail her Preferred Pronouns on her Facebook about page. I can only explain it by the still dominant Machismo culture in Argentina.

Here's a subtitled video that addresses this issue:
Interesting how quickly you are already using derogatory, disqualifying terms to describe the actions of those you don't agree with. I don't think you really want a truly intellectual discussion on the subject, but instead to educate those of us who are less enlightened to your point of view.

Interesting how quickly you are already using derogatory, disqualifying terms to describe the actions of those you don't agree with. I don't think you really want a truly intellectual discussion on the subject, but instead to educate those of us who are less enlightened to your point of view.

I also find it interesting that you this writer is using a profile of a male terrorist as her symbol . This hero worship of Che Guevara by the left is such a clique .

This is a ridiculuos topic at this current time considering that the economy is is freefall . I personally do not believe that Argentina is a machismo culture and is the most female friendly in the Americas including USA that has not even had one woman president .
I hesitated on the “machismo” bit and then on reflection it occurred to me that I don’t think I have ever lived or worked in any country (and there were many) where women, at all levels and degrees of society, were as strong, as “out there," head up and shoulders back, as in Argentina. Maybe centuries of swimming against a current of machismo made them so, but for whatever reason the Argentine woman (my wife among them) is - in general - a fearsome force to be reckoned with. One day soon we may be speaking of "machisma."

I hesitated on the “machismo” bit and then on reflection it occurred to me that I don’t think I have ever lived or worked in any country (and there were many) where women, at all levels and degrees of society, were as strong, as “out there," head up and shoulders back, as in Argentina. Maybe centuries of swimming against a current of machismo made them so, but for whatever reason the Argentine woman (my wife among them) is - in general - a fearsome force to be reckoned with. One day soon we may be speaking of "machisma."

If I May suggest the term "Hembrismo" as opposed to Machismo...?

Using "gorda" seems more passive aggressive than affectionate - but thanks for the mansplaining.

I'm disappointed that Cristina does not detail her Preferred Pronouns on her Facebook about page. I can only explain it by the still dominant Machismo culture in Argentina.

Here's a subtitled video that addresses this issue:

It's not mansplaning, its information that you should take on board so you better understand. My girlfriend(porteña) says it all the time as a sign of affection between her friends. In fact your use of a gender specific slight against another poster kind of shows you up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back