How do people afford dry cleaning here?

bebero said:
i don't understand why you dry clean items every week... can't they be washed with water?
I don't know for womens clothes, I would have assumed it was the same. For mens clothes at least: Shirts yes, because they're made of cotton. Pants no, because they're made of wool. I mean I'm sure its POSSIBLE, but I wouldn't dare to do it.

PhilipDT said:
No. Generally wet washinging is good way to ruin nice clothes.

Especially those made of pure wool (as in any good suit).

It might be possible to wash a wool sweater in Woolite with good results, but I shudder at the thought of throwing a Zegna or Armani suit in the lavaropas.

Imagine what that would do to a Hermes (or any brand of) neck tie!:eek:

I don't think you're supposed to dry clean an armani suit every two days anyway!

Dry cleaning is VERY toxic in general. A chemical called PERC is added to a solution of 2% water and heavy industrial detergent (usually ammonia), so when they clothes are put into this wet solution of chemicals, once they are removed, they "dry in a matter of 1 minute", hence dry cleaning. The dirt and stains stay behind in the PERC solution.

Woven wool pants and jackets should only be gently wiped down with a soft lint free cloth after each use, that will keep them fresh.. If you dry clean woven wool fabrics or put a hot iron to them too many times, you will destroy them quickly and they will get a really cheap looking shiny surface, especially gabardine fabrics. The best way to clean and press them is with a hot clothes steamer while hanging. Dry clean very occasionally at best. Dress shrits should be washed with very little detergent and warm water separately from other clothes on a gentle cycle, gentle spin and hung to dry. Don't wash dress shirts with any heavy items like towels or jeans because you are just having them beat against the lightweight shirt fabric during the wash cycle and they will fall apart quickly. 100% cotton shirts are nice but need A LOT of ironing, if you get 40/60 polyester / cotton blend shirts, you still will have a decent crisp look to the fabric, but they will only need to be touched up with an iron. The highest quality dress shirts on the market today are 2 brands (which I have never seen here) Hathaway and Faconnable.

My family owned a clothing factory for 30 years. We were the largest producer of GANT shirts, Chams de Baron shirts, and Members only jackets on the east coast of the USA.

I actually thought this was a joke post as I have always found dry cleaning in Bsas so cheap as compared to Europe. In Ireland, when I left in 2001 I would spend approx. 120 euros every 2 weeks on dry cleaning and so coming to Bsas with special offers of 3 items for 15 pesos made me laugh with joy and yes the quality of cleaning was great, including silk and I at most spent 140 pesos in one visit.
I always worked in the corporate world where polyester has no place and so I have no shame in loving and owning wool, cashmere etc and any outfit that needs dry cleaning. There is a world out there of no-iron shirts and machine wash trousers but I have no wish to be a part of it and have no idea why the poster finds its so expensive to dry clean in Bsas...

fifs2 said:
I actually thought this was a joke post as I have always found dry cleaning in Bsas so cheap as compared to Europe. In Ireland, when I left in 2001 I would spend approx. 120 euros every 2 weeks on dry cleaning and so coming to Bsas with special offers of 3 items for 15 pesos made me laugh with joy and yes the quality of cleaning was great, including silk and I at most spent 140 pesos in one visit.
I always worked in the corporate world where polyester has no place and so I have no shame in loving and owning wool, cashmere etc and any outfit that needs dry cleaning. There is a world out there of no-iron shirts and machine wash trousers but I have no wish to be a part of it and have no idea why the poster finds its so expensive to dry clean in Bsas...
50 dollars for 3 slacks and 3 shirts to be laundered. Thats 2x what I'd pay in the states.

fifs2 said:

I thought the corporate glass ceiling was shattered by women wearing polyster pantsuits.:rolleyes:

But I can remember the 70's (all of them).:p

Oh, the horror!:eek:

Unless you work in a mine, a farm or are an auto mechanic, 2 days wear for a pair of pants sounds unreal. Buy WOOLITE, wash your shirts and pants in a sink or bath tub, hang to dry and iron. It will cost almost nothing

steveinbsas said:
I thought the corporate glass ceiling was shattered by women wearing polyster pantsuits.:rolleyes:

But I can remember the 70's (all of them).:p

Oh, the horror!:eek:

You loved the static of rubbing polyester on nylon I'm guessing?!:p

Back