How do people afford dry cleaning here?

PhilipDT said:
50 dollars for 3 slacks and 3 shirts to be laundered. Thats 2x what I'd pay in the states.

But that's insane and I don't understand the pricing. I frequented (weekly) 5asec on Rivadavia and Rio de Janeiro (Caballito) and Scalabrini Ortiz and Medrano until July 2011 and the most I paid was 45 pesos for my Burberry "treat me with extreme care" as I am silk raincoat. With a wardrope full of couture and a lifetime of dry cleaning experiences behind me in Ireland, US and Bsas I honestly think youve gone to the most expensive dry cleaners in Bsas as for me it was and always is super cheap!

fifs2 said:
You loved the static of rubbing polyester on nylon I'm guessing?!:p

Actually, I loved the sensation of rubbing my skin on nylon (stockings).;)

I still do.:D

steveinbsas said:
Actually, I loved the sensation of rubbing my skin on nylon (stockings).;)

I still do.:D

With orange peel in your mouth, rubber gloves and hanging from a wordrobe? Yes I hear it's quite the thrill..dangerous though as Michael Htchens discovered...:D

fifs2 said:
With orange peel in your mouth, rubber gloves and hanging from a wordrobe? Yes I hear it's quite the thrill..dangerous though as Michael Htchens discovered...:D

How could you possibly have known?;)

Was that you inside the wardrobe?:cool:

(Where I keep all of my wool clothes...none of which have needed to go to the dry cleaners for years.)

I only wear cotton now...including sweaters. I wash everything myself with soap and water without softener.

I do have an iron but I don't use it. I can line dry my clothes in the wind.

steveinbsas said:
How could you possibly have known?;)

Was that you inside the wardrobe?:cool:

(Where I keep all of my wool clothes...none of which have needed to go to the dry cleaners for years.)

Shame..I pictured you in the Hermes tie digging the garden...man, couture, physical labor = sexy!:D

fifs2 said:
Shame..I pictured you in the Hermes tie digging the garden...man, couture, physical labor = sexy!:D

That's my day job.:D

At night I love to get knotty...and find another use for the Hermes ties.:p

fifs2 said:
But that's insane and I don't understand the pricing. I frequented (weekly) 5asec on Rivadavia and Rio de Janeiro (Caballito) and Scalabrini Ortiz and Medrano until July 2011 and the most I paid was 45 pesos for my Burberry "treat me with extreme care" as I am silk raincoat. With a wardrope full of couture and a lifetime of dry cleaning experiences behind me in Ireland, US and Bsas I honestly think youve gone to the most expensive dry cleaners in Bsas as for me it was and always is super cheap!

I recently switched from some chinese tintoria that charged me 30 for pants and 18 for shirts after they destroyed a pair of 300 dollar pants. I decided that saving a few pesos here and there wasn't worth it, so I asked all my neighbors and they almost unanimously recommended this family drycleaner 2 blocks away that has been there for 60 years in the same location. Now I pay 30 for shirts and 40 for pants but haven't had any problems. I'm not getting gringo taxed cause the prices are all on the wall and its not like I live in puerto madero or recoleta either. I live in Once/San Cristobal.

Semi-related: When I was here for work last year, before I moved here, my company put me up in a hotel. The prices to get your clothes laundered were insane. Something like 40 pesos for a t-shirt, 20 pesos for a pair of socks!

Many locals wash clothes carefully by hand with a white soap, jabon federal, and cold water.

El Duderino said:
Semi-related: When I was here for work last year, before I moved here, my company put me up in a hotel. The prices to get your clothes laundered were insane. Something like 40 pesos for a t-shirt, 20 pesos for a pair of socks!

This is one of the most incredible posts I've ever read here.

Sometimes I wonder how the "locals" can take such grotesque advantage of foreigners.

Did they think you were using a "governement" credit card?

If so (and they understand governent corruption), it actually makes sense.

Back