How do people here afford McDonalds/Burger King?

Mac Donalds has "pequeños precios". Mc Pollo Junior for 7 pesos + a bottle of water brought from your house still makes it cheap.

for $20 more you can get a meal and desert around the corner from maccy d's/burger king on callao at Las Canas.

I wish they would do free refills of softdrinks. Even subway where you have to fill your own cup have huge signs saying "NO REFILL"

I wish they would do free refills of softdrinks.

Luckily, we don´t have that option. The small bottle of Coke has already 600 cm3. At least I am drinking Coke Zero, no calories, but all the chemicals you always wanted.

steveinbsas said:
I guess that's also why they are (in general) so much thinner than most Americans.:rolleyes:

Not true at all. Despite all the bashing of "fat Americans" :rolleyes: - people in Argentina are NOT much thinner than people from the US in general. In the list of the world's fattest countries - the US is #9 and Argentina # 13.

Not saying you're wrong but where are all these fat Portenos ?? I honestly don't see them. Although I see tons of fat tourists, I see very few fat portenos.

citygirl said:
Not true at all. Despite all the bashing of "fat Americans" :rolleyes: - people in Argentina are NOT much thinner than people from the US in general. In the list of the world's fattest countries - the US is #9 and Argentina # 13.

Buenos Aires isn't Argentina. That's like saying you don't see a lot of fat people in NYC (and you don't) and assume people in the US aren't overweight. Go outside of Cap Fed and you will see plenty of overweight people - I actually notice more men than women. Although actually, I see plenty (both sexes) inside Cap Fed too.

I pulled that stat from the WHO so I'm pretty sure it's valid.

citygirl said:
Buenos Aires isn't Argentina. That's like saying you don't see a lot of fat people in NYC (and you don't) and assume people in the US aren't overweight. Go outside of Cap Fed and you will see plenty of overweight people - I actually notice more men than women. Although actually, I see plenty (both sexes) inside Cap Fed too.

If you wish to see fat people it is very easy to see in Buenos Aires . I suggest that you go to a supermarket in Avenellada, The Hipodrome in Palermo, The beach in Mar del Plata .

The truth is that Argentina has as many overweight people as the USA but I would say that chronically obese people are more common in the USA

citygirl said:

I wonder if the overweight Argentines are afraid to be seen in public.

Whenever I'm in Bahia Blanca or Punta Alta the sidewalks are full of thin people.

I very rarely see obese like I do in the US.

citygirl said:

Even this is not usual, i agree with you.

However, I don t see people so overweight here. I have like 10 kilos extra, that s normal overweight here for somebody close to 40 but in the states I saw to many young people with 50 kilos of overweigh or more. I was surpraised to see people in some kind of electric chairs because they cannot walk anymore because of overweigh.

Regards

Yeah, I don't see obesity in Capital like I do in my city in the U.S. but I do see plenty of overweight people. Especially kids, more and more. Just take a walk today and look for them. They certainly don't hide at home.

If you don't know to look for something (like overweight people), you may be blind to it. If you're one of those who drools after the hot skinny chicks with hair down to their butts who all dress the similarly or the hot men in business suits, you probably won't notice the fat folks, or really any diversity in general. Reminds me of a student who went to Los Angeles and came back and said all the girls were blond. Anyone who has set foot in LA know that's not the case, but there were enough blonds that he only focused on them and didn't notice anything else. If you don't want to notice fat or ugly people, you don't have to.

Also, I will take free water in restaurants over free soda refills any day. So unnecessary. I used to work at a movie theater back in the U.S. and so many huge people would come back to the counter with their giant cups for refills of soda. Some would even leave their movie to do so. Why????

Back